PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC SuperSonic
Carrier: Sprint

Glossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HOW TO: Recover a Diamond that won't get past the boot screen! (Instructions)

There have been a large number of reports of phones hanging at the boot screen after flashing some of the more recent ROMs. While this problem has been random and somewhat common, I haven't seen a thread dedicated to recovering from this issue. So, I thought I would share what I've learned.

People have had success in flashing a stock ROM, which seems (in most cases) to cure the problem. I have not tried this way, though I've seen the problem twice.

The method I've used to recover is this:

1. Have either the stock ROM or a ROM different from the type that caused the hang in the first place, ready to flash on your PC. What I mean by different is, if a Calcu ROM (example only!) was being loaded when the hang occurred, try using a Juicy or OMJ ROM, or even stock Sprint.

2. Get the phone into "triggered bootloader" mode. This is the same process you would use to flash from the 4 GB internal storage, only you don't need to have an .nbh file in storage.

To enter triggered bootloader mode, you need to take the back off of your phone so you can access the reset hole. Then, you need to simultaneously press the power button, volume down (-) button, and the arrow button (<--) while at the same time, pressing your stylus into the reset hole. I know it sounds nearly impossible, but I am able to do it using two hands for the buttons, and pressing the stylus into the phone with my stomach. Sounds crazy, but it's pretty easy once you've done it a couple of time.

At this point, you should see the familiar rainbow screen.

3. If you have an .nbh file on your storage card, the phone will prompt you to either press the power button to flash from the card, or the action button to ignore. If the .nbh is the same one that caused the hang or even a ROM from the same series, DO NOT USE IT. If it's a different type of ROM, go ahead and flash from it, and your phone should recover normally.

If you don't have an .nbh file on the card, the phone will simply display the rainbow screen. At this point, plug the USB sync cable into your phone and run the RUU and your phone will recover normally.

The key here is to use a different ROM type for receovery. If you use a similar ROM, you'll probably wind up having to go through this process again.

I hope this helps, as it has worked for me and other users.

EDIT: It is not necessary to use triggered bootloader to revive your Diamond. Normal bootloader will suffice, and does not require the contortion of fingers and body. Thanks to tobeychris for this clarification!

Audiovox Thera-Samsung i700-Verizon PPC 6600-Sprint 6700-Sprint Mogul-Sprint Touch-HTC Touch Diamond-HTC Hero-HTC SuperSonic (EVO)

Last edited by Glossman; 02-02-2010 at 04:29 PM.
This post has been thanked 66 times.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

JAChavez99 is keeping up the good workJAChavez99 is keeping up the good work
Re: HOW TO: Recover a phone that won't get past the boot screen! (Instructions)

From first hand experience it works!

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community
Re: HOW TO: Recover a Diamond that won't get past the boot screen! (Instructions)

Try building a proper ROM, then you don't have those problems.
Also, you don't need to be in 'triggered bootloader'. Regular bootloader works just fine, always has.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

Zeddicus is becoming a great contributor
Re: HOW TO: Recover a Diamond that won't get past the boot screen! (Instructions)

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Glossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuff

Nothing to see here!!! Move along!!

Last edited by Glossman; 01-02-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Kitchen Builder

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

Lol, I apologize. I wasn't trying to insult you, or your ROMs. I was saying that the main reason it happens is a mistake in building a ROM. This usually is because some of the modules were change (Usually if you use a different SYS). The way to avoid this most of the time is to use g'reloc. I can't speak for any other kitchen, but the C4RBON kitchen runs it every time, just in case.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeychris View Post
Also, you don't need to be in 'triggered bootloader'. Regular bootloader works just fine, always has.
And I do stand corrected on this pont. I will update the how-to thread.

Thanks for the CONSTRUCTIVE comment.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Kitchen Builder

You're welcome
Old 01-02-2009, 08:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

Zeddicus is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Lol, I apologize. I wasn't trying to insult you, or your ROMs. I was saying that the main reason it happens is a mistake in building a ROM. This usually is because some of the modules were change (Usually if you use a different SYS). The way to avoid this most of the time is to use g'reloc. I can't speak for any other kitchen, but the C4RBON kitchen runs it every time, just in case.
Thanks Tobey, hopefully if that is the problem, other chefs will read this and we can eliminate this problem all together.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:

Thank you. And sorry if I reacted a bit strongly, but I've been putting a lot of time into this lately, and I take it personally when my ROM causes a headache for someone. I get a little touchy when I *perceive* that someone is rubbing it in.

I just want to help the user recover as soon as possible, you know?

So, no hard feelings, okay?

On to business! The kitchen I used for the build did incorporate G'reloc, and it ran when I built my Production ROMs. What I'm wondering is how this manifests itself after multiple reflashes, but not after 1 or 2. Almost everyone (including myself) who has experienced this issue has never seen it after a single reflash from the same ROM type. This makes it really hard to troubleshoot.

Opinions?
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development