PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   CDMA Diamond Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Will flashing a custom rom void my warranty? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=43406)

akareem27 11-06-2008 10:31 AM

Will flashing a custom rom void my warranty?

I have the sprint version and was thinking of flashing juiscy's rom.I've searched but got mixed answers.some say yes and some say no.

jgillard 11-06-2008 10:36 AM

Re: Will flashing a custom rom void my warranty?

It will void your warranty if they find out about it. If you need to send the device in for warranty service you would have to flash the stock rom back and relock your device.

akareem27 11-06-2008 10:39 AM

so what if i brick it?

nttdemented 11-06-2008 11:02 AM

If you brick it there's a good chance you're gonna have to buy a new phone with no warranty or insurance coverage. Juggalo here recently briked his phone and was able to recover with some expert help. So if you do brick it ask the right persons and they'll gladly oblige to assist you, thats the best part of this community.

O'Neil Mitchell 11-06-2008 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akareem27 (Post 500588)
so what if i brick it?

If you read all the stickies and follow the instruction, you really don't have anything to worry about. And besides, it might take awhile but I'm sure that someone would be able to help you

tobeychris 11-06-2008 11:45 AM

Once you get past the unlocker, there is virtually NO way you can brick your device by using one of the ROMs posted here. They include only the OS and nothing else, and any problems can be easily fixed.

Note: The shipped Sprint ROM (the .exe file) is not included in this, as it contains a radio, spl, etc...

Flash away.

gullzway 12-30-2008 11:57 PM

My 2nd Touch just broke, the charger port no longer worked. I could not reflash a stock Rom. After 2.5 hours at the repair store, they said they would order a replacement Touch. They also said if I bring it in again for repair with a custom ROM they would not replace or repair it as it voids the warranty.

My question is, this is not a warranty issue is it? I am having it repaired/replaced under the TEP program. In the Terms and conditions of the Repair program( in pamphlet at the store) it doesn't say anything about voiding the contract if you have custom software on it.

After coming back home with a charged battery, I was able to put the Stock .nbh on a 512 memory card and reflash through bootloader. So it is Now technically Stock, even though they are already replacing it. Just FYI.

scabsk8s 12-31-2008 12:13 AM

i have had to replace several touch's (vogue) & 1 diamond ,all of them have been flashed with a custom rom & have never had any trouble..i have insurance & i would not have this kind of phone without it ..
i just had to get a new diamond about a week ago after flashing with caulkins latest ROM because it froze ,don't know if it was the rom or the hardware but i had no trouble from sprint ..