PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   CDMA Diamond Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   New ROM project idea - anyone interested? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42203)

AycheDub 10-30-2008 12:32 AM

New ROM project idea - anyone interested?

I've recently started learning how to build ROM's and all of what goes into the process to create a "usable" ROM for the Diamond. I'm a user who is quite visually impaired and my goal is to make the ROM is "accessible" as possible with high contrast and large fonts.

My question is - would the community be interested in such a ROM if I were to start this project? The goal would be to make the ROM as compatible as possible for easy use for people with vision loss or just want a device that is "easy on the eyes." Let me know your thoughts!

unibomber 10-30-2008 09:15 PM

Re: New ROM project idea - anyone interested?

im sure there will be people who would use this.

more roms the better!

MightyMike 10-30-2008 09:18 PM

more variations of roms are always welcome. Even if you don't get the explosion of users that you may expect, I'm sure many people will still find it useful...

Do it up!!!!!!!!

AycheDub 10-30-2008 09:32 PM

Thank you for the replies. I've started work on the ROM and may be asking for help if needed. The more ROMs the better.

scaredwitless 10-30-2008 10:03 PM

I have vision limitations myself, and spend a good amount of time with any ROM I try out, making it mostly comdortable for me to read. My impairment is not severe enough that I need major help reading the screen, but bumping up the fonts a fair bit and keeping the backlight on full are needed for me and are helpful to making the diamond readable. My main process is this: First things first on a new rom, go to settings->system->screen and bump the font size up to highest. then on to power and bump on the brightness and turn off the sensor selector. The next thing I do is install SMSTweaker for the sheer fact that it allows you to quickly bump up the text size of the SMS view which isn't normally affected by the system font selector. I believe it does this by registry edits but for my purposes it is faster to just install the cab for SMSTweak. Finally, I install a cab for NueFonts by nuechem, and use that to bump fonts up even further. Not always an rxact science but these steps help me a lot. and I mention them here in case they are methods new to you. If you find a sweet spot with your ROM which makes it more usable for you in the visual sense and have the inclination to release it, I say do please-- It won't be something everyone needs but there'll be others it'll help.

AycheDub 10-30-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scaredwitless (Post 486688)
I have vision limitations myself, and spend a good amount of time with any ROM I try out, making it mostly comdortable for me to read. My impairment is not severe enough that I need major help reading the screen, but bumping up the fonts a fair bit and keeping the backlight on full are needed for me and are helpful to making the diamond readable. My main process is this: First things first on a new rom, go to settings->system->screen and bump the font size up to highest. then on to power and bump on the brightness and turn off the sensor selector. The next thing I do is install SMSTweaker for the sheer fact that it allows you to quickly bump up the text size of the SMS view which isn't normally affected by the system font selector. I believe it does this by registry edits but for my purposes it is faster to just install the cab for SMSTweak. Finally, I install a cab for NueFonts by nuechem, and use that to bump fonts up even further. Not always an rxact science but these steps help me a lot. and I mention them here in case they are methods new to you. If you find a sweet spot with your ROM which makes it more usable for you in the visual sense and have the inclination to release it, I say do please-- It won't be something everyone needs but there'll be others it'll help.

Thank you for your information. Most of what you do is pretty much exactly what I do, only without the software - I just go straight to the registry to change what is needed. Would you find it useful to have all system text white with black background? I use "high contrast" setting like those that are available through Windows PC operating systems. I'm working on a way to have this duplicated on Windows Mobile - though having some difficulty changing text color and background used for SMS and emails.