PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 09:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

TheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
diamond rom issues

I love my diamond but its really starting to tick me off. I had a touch prior to this and had no issues flashing or building my own rom for it. This diamond on the other hand .

I've now tried 3 different roms on it and each one ends up having the same issues after a day. I'm at a loss here. Right after flashing I'm able to sync the phone with vista's mobile device center crap just fine. I'm able to install cab files as well. I can even set alarms. Within an hour all that stops working.

It will connect to the computer but the computer won't sync with it. You can open a cab file on it but nothing happens. You can try to set an alarm but it completely ignores you. Its rather frustrating.

I dug through the forums and don't see anyone else with these issues so I'm at a loss. I called sprint and had them send me a new diamond thinking maybe I just got a dud. It exhibits the exact same issues. I flashed the old diamond back to stock ROM and relocked it. It appears to work just fine including alarms.

At this point I'm open to suggestions.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community
Re: diamond rom issues

Maybe it's not the phone?
Maybe it's the computer?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

TheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuff

I considered that. For the activesync/wmdc issues yeah, i can see that. Keep in mind I had no issues with the Touch and I flashed it many times. If I put the phone into the bootloader it flashes just fine with no errors. I've flashed 2 of Juicy's roms, built one off the GF/TC kitchen, flashed someone elses rom, all with the same issues. Its nutty. I don't have another box other than a linux one that's handy, guess i could try flashing from the internal storage and see what happens.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Kitchen Builder

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

it's probably not the flash that's the problem, especially if you're the only one.

Try uninstalling the mdc and reinstalling? or updating if there is such a thing?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

Exstatica is keeping up the good workExstatica is keeping up the good work

try going back to the stock rom, see if your issues continue.

http://www.myunspace.com A free file hosting site with no speed restrictions. Rom Chefs get free upgrade to Chef account which include unlimited storage. Interested Chefs please PM me.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

yeah, i spent 6 hours messing with exactly that last night. I removed wmdc, all the adapters etc. that vista installs in the device manager for it etc. I finally got it to sync after a fresh flash at 5:45am and then got called into work at 10am .

I think part of vista's issues stems from the diamonds ability to connect as a drive as I'm not sure i had the activesync issue until after copying a bunch of files to the internal storage. Regardless of the sync issues as annoying as they are I can live with them. Its the rom issues that kill me. I can't imagine why after a random amount of time passes that I can no longer install cab files on the device. I keep 5 or 6 things on internal storage that i install after a flash and if I don't install them immediately I can't unless I reflash.

The same thing with alarms. I managed to set an alarm to wake me up for work this morning but it never went off. I can't unset it either. TF3D shows it as set. I even disabled TF3d and unchecked the alarm from the control panel app and it won't stay unchecked. Its like something went read/only on the device. I can still add weather cities, contact favorites etc. Its just these few mysterious issues that plague me. If it hadn't happened across 2 different diamonds I would think it was the phone.
That and flashing back to stock gets rid of the issues I think.. I'll test.

OK, the stock rom on the old phone connects right up and wants to sync. Now connected as a drive and it opens the folder up. Now the kicker, back to activesync... and it wants to sync again. So much for that idea. The stock ROM works just dandy and that was flashed from this computer back to the old phone.

Update:
I can connect the phone in disk drive mode every time and it works fine. Its almost as if the phone's activesync isn't requesting a sync once its attached. The computer knows its there as vista shows the connection in the device manager. This is actually keeping me from unlocking the new diamond again. I had relocked it on the wild off chance that the bootloader was the issues as I'd tried just about everything else. I wonder if the newer roms have a different version of whatever comm manager HTC uses that's causing the activesync issues.

Last edited by TheDoctor1971; 10-30-2008 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:54 AM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

I finally built a custom rom, and am satisfied w/ it. It is based on the sprint rom, so it has a stock sprint feel, but runs muuuuch better.

if you want to try it, let me know & i'll upload.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I'm up for anything at this point. I remember using one of your roms on my touch. Right now i'm trying to get it unlocked again so I can flash something. I've uninstalled all the .net frameworks and reinstalled 3.5, uninstalled wmdc and reinstalled it, i'm about to reconnect the phone and see what shakes loose.

Its really bugging me that it works fine for everyone else. I usually have very few issues, I've been a tech support guy for more than 20 years .
Old 10-30-2008, 02:20 AM
Kitchen Builder

Wait... you are choosing activesync connection, right? It cannot connect as a disk drive AND activesync at the same time.

Try going into settings>USBtoPC and make sure activesync is selected....

I hope that was your problem, beyond that I'm not sure what's wrong.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I've tried activesync both with and without the advanced networking checked.

I meant that if you select disk drive it'll connect every time and let you access the internal storage, but activesync never works after the first sync.

After all that it finally took a hard reset on the phone to let it connect so I could unlock it again. Something happens at some point after the first sync that causes these issues. As long as I don't let the phone go through its first setup, it'll connect every time. Man, if I could bill for all these hours I've spent trying to get this to work .

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development