PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint

jonnythan is keeping up the good workjonnythan is keeping up the good workjonnythan is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Slightly confused about custom ROMs and radio ROMs

I'm using Juicy 2.5 and keep hearing people talk about the Verizon radio ROM.

Is that something that's included in Juicy 2.5 or something that I have to apply separately? Is the Verizon radio ROM compatible with Juicy? Does it break anything? Is there anything else worth knowing about it?

Also, I've downloaded the radio ROM but I'm not entirely sure how to apply it. Do I just run ROMUpdateUtility.exe? Do I need ActiveSync installed on the PC I'm using to apply it?

The radio ROM thread also says "be sure to back up your MIP settings such as aaa/an auth key and such." Can someone explain this?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Blabber mouth
Pocket PC: MoPho
Carrier: Sprint.... for now

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Slightly confused about custom ROMs and radio ROMs

the radio rom is completely different than the os rom. al the radio rom does is make the radio function more efficiently. eg. you can have any custom rom on top of any radio rom.

the radio rom flashes the same way you flashed juicy's rom
Old 10-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

jonnythan is keeping up the good workjonnythan is keeping up the good workjonnythan is keeping up the good work

OK, great, that's what I was thinking.

How do I back up MIP settings?
Old 10-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Didn't have to back anything up, I guess.

It did alert me during the upgrade that I was going from 1.06.661.1 to 1.03.03v, which was odd. But the version on the splash screen went from 1.00.00F to 1.03.03v.

So far I'm not sure I'm seeing any real difference.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Blabber mouth

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

you wont see a difference. all it does is change things like how often the phone polls for signal, and updated algorithms to be able to parse signal from noise (give better reception) though any updates this fast will usually be marginal. in about 6 months you will probably see a significant boost in battery life and reception.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelious2 View Post
in about 6 months you will probably see a significant boost in battery life and reception.
Do you mean that we'll see an updated radio or system ROM that will give us better battery life in 6 months?
Old 10-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Blabber mouth

both probably, but the radio rom is what affects how good of reception the phone gets and what it does with that signal. they could also come out with more efficent drivers/coded apps that improve battery life too.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

That would indeed be nice. The sooner the better.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelious2 View Post
the radio rom is completely different than the os rom. al the radio rom does is make the radio function more efficiently.
Or Less efficiently

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development