PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond & Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: TELUS / Verizon Wireless

Devileyezz is keeping up the good workDevileyezz is keeping up the good workDevileyezz is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Devileyezz
ActiveSync weirdness

Hi,

ActiveSync is behaving a little weirdly.
For example, in the TELUS Stock ROM, I _think_ I remember seeing a setting which basically allowed me to run a full sync (like manually hitting the sync button) every few minutes.

Subsequent custom ROMs do not have that setting (unless I never saw such a setting on stock ROM to begin with, those hrooms...).

Anyway, long story short. My Activesync sometimes kept going on a "sleep mode" (I call it sleep mode, don't confuse yourself). What happens in this sleep mode is, and there is no set pattern, that suddenly, activesync doesn't get the push email like it should. It's not the Exchange server, so don't even go there (because it works for my PC outlook, and now works for an associate oo). It does a few minutes/hours later.

I looked in the OWA (Outlook Web Access), which is basically like a web mail interface to my exchange email. In there I saw patterns of 25-30 minute syncs. Meaning it shows that my phone sync'd at 6.30, and then it sync'd at 6.59. Then at 7.28, and then at 8.01. So, it's not a set number of minutes obviously.. then what is it?! My settings are set to "As items arrive" even for the non-peak.

Then, I just installed ActiveSync on my PC when connected via USB and did the scheduling via the PC, and set my offpeak checks to 10 mins, and peak hours to as items arrive. I proceed to check my OWA for sync gaps, and weirdly, syncs have happened every 4-6 minutes.

Now, I'm still watching it.. the last sync was at 9.40PM. It's now 9.47PM, and nothing so far. Before this it sync'd at 9.34PM and at 9.30 before that. So if it has that patten, it should have sync'd by now! lol

I think I'm going crazy with this kinda attitude I'm getting from ActiveSync, "I'll do what I want, when I want!".

9.49PM and no sync.. submitting this post now.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Devileyezz is keeping up the good workDevileyezz is keeping up the good workDevileyezz is keeping up the good work
Re: ActiveSync weirdness

Ok, it sync'd at 9.50PM.
Forgot to mention, the erratic syncing that I described above shouldn't have happened and should actually have sync'd every 10 mins because my peak time cut off that I set from my PC was 7PM.

Maybe it's going to come to normalcy now.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Yup. Sync'd at 10.00PM, like it should.
Alright then, looks like the dust has settled. Now, my question is, during peak hours, where can I set it to do this sort of a "full sync"?

As I understand it, push email is different from a full sync. Push email works on "As items arrive", but the items marked as read, and other info only syncs when a full sync happens. Correcto?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Question Re: ActiveSync weirdness

An update for you guys.
After a long hiatus, this weirdness has returned. I'm beginning to wonder if it's the phone or ActiveSync itself.

I'm on MSR 1.4 right now.
First, I checked the OWA (A webmail for Exchange you can say). It shows device sync info. As you can see below, it says last sync at 3.19PM

On the phone (ActiveSync) as well, it shows the same:

Right now, it's 6PM. I have it set to "As items arrive" for peak and "Every 10 mins" for off-peak after 8pm. Again, it's 6PM, so it should be on the peak rule. Still, it's not like it's on the off-peak rule either cuz it's been 3 hrs, not 10 mins since it last synced.

What is WRONG with this thing?!
Old 10-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

It is now confirmed that something is messed up. I don't know what it is.
Peak times, it's set to As items arrive. Peak time is 8.01AM - 7PM. The last sync I see was at 8.01AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

opuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devileyezz View Post
An update for you guys.
Right now, it's 6PM. I have it set to "As items arrive" for peak and "Every 10 mins" for off-peak after 8pm. Again, it's 6PM, so it should be on the peak rule. Still, it's not like it's on the off-peak rule either cuz it's been 3 hrs, not 10 mins since it last synced.
What is WRONG with this thing?!
When it is set for "As Items Arrive" it doesn't sync until there is a new message to push out. Is it not syncing newly received messages to your phone?
Old 10-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Regular 'Geeker

opuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Also, if you delete a message on the phone it doesn't sync with the exchange server until a new message arrives or you force a send/receive on the phone.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by opuscroakus View Post
When it is set for "As Items Arrive" it doesn't sync until there is a new message to push out. Is it not syncing newly received messages to your phone?
Correct good sir. And I'm so annoyed!
Old 10-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devileyezz View Post
Correct good sir. And I'm so annoyed!
Well, I have this problem only after I disconnect from the PC. If I do a soft-reset after I disconnect from the PC it takes care of it.

Wish I could be more helpful.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by opuscroakus View Post
Well, I have this problem only after I disconnect from the PC. If I do a soft-reset after I disconnect from the PC it takes care of it.

Wish I could be more helpful.
I soft-reset every morning. And the last time I connected it to the PC was on the 21st. So, I don't think that's it.

It's all good, you tried. Thanks.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development