PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   CDMA Diamond Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Unlocking: HSPL vs SSPL (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=39821)

ifko 10-08-2008 02:11 PM

Unlocking: HSPL vs SSPL

Hello,

I'm new here, but i had a question.

I see in the sticky's that there are two type of bootloaders SSPL 0.43 (emulation?)AND HSPL 0.57 (actual bootloader?)

I haven't unlocked my Telus Diamond yet, but i wanted to know which one I should use. Is there a pro/con comparison between the two?

If you wanted to re-lock the phone is it the same procedure for the two or do you need two different relocking packages?

Does relocking just install the original bootloader?

Anything else i should know before jumping on the band-wagon? Thanks

tobeychris 10-08-2008 02:43 PM

Re: Unlocking: HSPL vs SSPL

Yep, try reading how to flash sticky for everything you need.

ifko 10-08-2008 04:57 PM

There are two different sticky's referencing each bootloader, but they do not reference why one is better than the other.

I got information from the sticky's in the first place but it raised as many questions as it answered.

tobeychris 10-08-2008 07:10 PM

Well.. you could use the How To: sticky and unlock your phone like everyone else (which uses the Hard SPL from the other sticky)... or you can try to figure out what you're going to do with a soft SPL and then complain you can't flash a ROM.

How To's explain how to do everything you want. The other sticky is the original thread by the author which lists an delivers the programs necessary for all of this to happen. She also gives us a few other tools for those that are much more advanced.

ifko 10-08-2008 10:18 PM

You answered my question in the first line.

I was already confused, I had no idea that the unlocker in the "How to flash:" sticky was an HSPL or even the right version.

If you go to the HSPL sticky it suggests you use .57 but step 11 in the "How to flash" sticky says that is should say version .43 when unlocked. The term SSPL is also used loosely so i'm not even sure if i'm referring to these bootloaders with the correct terminolgy

You can see how it be can confusing, smart *** remarks don't help when you're legitimately confused. (They only help when you are ignorant)

Nonetheless thanks for the assistance

tobeychris 10-08-2008 10:54 PM

Just because you can't read, doesn't mean you have to call me ignorant.
I wrote the tutorial, and know for a fact that at no point does it say that .43 means unlocked.

If you actually read the steps:
Code:

11. Your phone will goto a tri-colour screen and should say SSPL0.43.CMONEX at the top. SSPL
12. The phone will restart again and is now Unlocked!
13. You can check that it is Unlocked by entering the Bootloader (Power+VolumeDown and hold down Reset)(Locked and Unlocked)

11 says that your phone will say .43, giving a picture of the sSPL
12 say that your phone reboots and IS NOW UNLOCKED.
13 tells you to check this, giving pictures of the now unlocked bootloader.

Just try to follow the order of the numbered instructions and there should be no confusion.

Mr. X 10-08-2008 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifko (Post 451380)
You answered my question in the first line.

I was already confused, I had no idea that the unlocker in the "How to flash:" sticky was an HSPL or even the right version.

If you go to the HSPL sticky it suggests you use .57 but step 11 in the "How to flash" sticky says that is should say version .43 when unlocked. The term SSPL is also used loosely so i'm not even sure if i'm referring to these bootloaders with the correct terminolgy

You can see how it be can confusing, smart *** remarks don't help when you're legitimately confused. (They only help when you are ignorant)

Nonetheless thanks for the assistance

Im sorry bud, but the only thing ignorant here is you calling tobeychris ignorant because you cannot read the instructions he wrote. i have to say readin the instructions my self no where does it say version .43 means the device is unlocked. however it does say
Quote:

11. Your phone will goto a tri-colour screen and should say SSPL0.43.CMONEX at the top. SSPL
12. The phone will restart again and is now Unlocked!
13. You can check that it is Unlocked by entering the Bootloader (Power+VolumeDown and hold down Reset)(Locked and Unlocked)

ifko 10-08-2008 11:08 PM

you need to relax, i wasn't calling you ignorant. I was saying the smart *** remarks work on ignorant people that haven't read anything and are asking for things to be handed to them.

if the screen says SSPL0.43.CMONEX that means it's unlocked because it has cmonex's name there, or atleast thats what i'm getting from that.

Mr. X 10-08-2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifko (Post 451468)
you need to relax, i wasn't calling you ignorant. I was saying the smart *** remarks work on ignorant people that haven't read anything and are asking for things to be handed to them.

if the screen says SSPL0.43.CMONEX that means it's unlocked because it has cmonex's name there, or atleast thats what i'm getting from that.

no the screen that says SSPL0.43.CMONEX is only the boot loader that had been booted to flash the hard SPL. it will say this regardless of what unlocker you use.

Cmonex states in the unlcoker thread that .43 is for advanced users who wish to access NV and Radio, .57 is for average users.

ifko 10-09-2008 12:43 AM

thanks for the clarification.

I didn't realize that a temporary bootloader .43 was used to flash the HSPL (.43 or .57 depending on what you choose).

As per my original question: so what is the difference betwwen SSPL and HSPL?