PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 06:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Verizon/legacy alltel plan

zim2704 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What carrier to go with?

Ok so after reading a few VZW flaming posts I am wondering which carrier I should go with. I live in a rural area and until recently only had the choice of Alltel. We have since had a local company start wireless service joining up with Sprint for more coverage.(website for local company is here http://www.nex-techwireless.com/Document.aspx?id=303 ). This local company doesn't lock down any features and their phones are all unlocked with factory software. My contract with Alltel is up in 2 months and from what I can see on the VZW website a comparable plan to what I have with Alltel right now will raise my bill $50 and as everybody knows their phones are junk. Right now I have the Diamond and wife has Pro.

So my question is what are your suggestions as far as carriers go....should I stay with VZW since they are set to take over this area within 2 months or go with the local company. In addition does anybody know how to set up service with Sprint or ATT online in a zipcode that they do not cover? Live in 67601 kansas zip.

All comments will be taken into consideration because I don't feel like going to a company that locks out parts of the phone, gimps the models and charges more for just the basic service.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: VZW

xconwayx is keeping up the good workxconwayx is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to xconwayx Send a message via MSN to xconwayx
Re: What carrier to go with?

That Nex-Tech has HTC Pros and Diamonds for 100 bucks apiece! That's incredible. You could always give these guys a shot. I use Sprint and overall I am very happy with coverage and all that jazz, minus being in my apartment. I would just verify that you do mainly have decent coverage for your area!
Old 07-05-2009, 12:41 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: pre, diamond
Carrier: sprint

kellybrf is becoming a great contributor

sprint shows native coverage in that zip code. without knowing your address i couldnt tell you if youd be roaming in your house or not, but theres no reason you shouldnt be able to get service with them. with that being said, if nex-tech offers phones and plans that cheap, while giving you the benefits of the sprint network, i wouldnt see why you dont go with them
Old 07-05-2009, 12:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

Snoman002 is keeping up the good workSnoman002 is keeping up the good work

Looking at the local company's webpage I think I would give them a shot, decent plan rates, decent data rates, good coverage, and steller prices on phones.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue (XV6900)
Carrier: Verizon

Link9228 is keeping up the good workLink9228 is keeping up the good work

Well... let's see the positives of each...

Verizon and ATT have no roaming charges. You can go anywhere in the US and it doesn't count as roaming. Verizon Wireless also has some of the best coverage out of all the carriers. I'm almost positive it's better than sprints. The negative: both have extremely expensive data plans. Verizon's phones are always completely locked down, and usually features are broken with there ROMs. There are work arounds.

Sprint has a much cheaper data plan, but slightly less coverage.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:55 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

If Sprint has good coverage in your area, Sprint hands down regarding pricing and service.
I have had Sprint for 10 years and the Customer Service issues were a past problem but has not been an issue for a long time.
The main cause of most of the Customer Service issues were the numerous perks and discounts which were available of which I and many customers had issues regarding Sprint removing them due to the billing system, etc.
Also, many of the Reps were inept but there has been a great improvement in the Customer Service area and the many discounts and perks that were previously available were reduced to the bare minimum.
I have an older plan with many perks but there are new plans that when compared with other carries like Verizon, offer great savings as well as Devices that are not "cut off at the knees," if you know what I mean.
I had a choice to switch carriers awhile ago when I was having alot of customer Service issues but no other carrier could offer what I was paying for the service I have.
As I said, for the most value for your dollar, SPRINT is the way to go.
Take a look at the plans available and see how they compare to the other carriers you have to choose from.

Good Luck

Disclaimer:
I don't work for Sprint lol
Old 07-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart

Holy FREAKIN CRAP! I'm thinking about switching to Nextech......

Sponsored by Kools.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link9228 View Post
Well... let's see the positives of each...

Verizon and ATT have no roaming charges. You can go anywhere in the US and it doesn't count as roaming. Verizon Wireless also has some of the best coverage out of all the carriers. I'm almost positive it's better than sprints. The negative: both have extremely expensive data plans. Verizon's phones are always completely locked down, and usually features are broken with there ROMs. There are work arounds.

Sprint has a much cheaper data plan, but slightly less coverage.
Depending on your sprint plan, roaming isn't an issue either, and with all the expensive data costs and everything on VZW you would be coming in around the same price point, probably even cheaper. With unlimited calling, no roaming, which seems better then no roaming but with a cap on your minute usage. Coverage is all about where you live, I have family in Philly and Verizon has better coverage there form what I hear, but where I am Sprint is the best choice for me as far as signal and service is concerned.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue (XV6900)
Carrier: Verizon

Link9228 is keeping up the good workLink9228 is keeping up the good work

The reason that coverage sucks in some areas is that the companies actually have to pay the government for 'air space'. There's only allowed to be a few different networks in one area. That's why no one carrier has coverage over the ENTIRE* nation.

*as in everywhere. If you look on a coverage map for your carrier, there's probably blanks spots or fringe areas.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:00 PM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link9228 View Post
The reason that coverage sucks in some areas is that the companies actually have to pay the government for 'air space'. There's only allowed to be a few different networks in one area. That's why no one carrier has coverage over the ENTIRE* nation.

*as in everywhere. If you look on a coverage map for your carrier, there's probably blanks spots or fringe areas.
its all based on population, obviously a carrier isnt going to put up a $300,000 plus maintenence costs for a city or town that has a small population. All carriers already pay the government for the spectrum they run off of. Thats why you get charged a federal tax. Sprint has the same exact coverage as VZW, same network and frequency, just one company owns a specific set of towers and the other company owns the other.

"I pity tha fool... that don't press !"

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion