PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 04:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

trance2002 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: No 5G?

There are some WiMax chipsets being shipped with laptops today (Intel was a big supporter of the standard) but as of right this moment there are no voice capable WiMax handsets commerically available for north america. They will be coming soon but LTE is going to be the bigger player even if it is coming later than WiMax. Only Sprint at this point is looking at serious deployment of WiMax and their finances aren't the best.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2
Threadstarter

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibby50 View Post
****! then when is wimax coming and what phones WILL support it when it does come
Sprint has rolled it out in Baltimore, and more cities are coming in 2009.. The HTC Max is the only phone I know of that supports Wi-Max.. Check this out for more info on the HTC Max...
Old 12-12-2008, 04:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

If you are looking for WiMax coming soon to your city check on the Clearwire site

http://www.clearwire.com/
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:29 PM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 View Post
Sprint has rolled it out in Baltimore, and more cities are coming in 2009.. The HTC Max is the only phone I know of that supports Wi-Max.. Check this out for more info on the HTC Max...
so why the hell role it out if no phones can receive the data!?!?!?!

Old 12-12-2008, 04:32 PM
DaGreatOne
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (white)!

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance2002 View Post
WiMax as is is being pushed out by Clearwire is based on the 802.16e standard. Which is a totally new air interface to any of the handsets we have today. To use that network or any of the LTE networks that are coming, we'll all be buying new hardware. I'm not saying they wouldn't build a WiMax femtocell that might look like a WiFi router but we are talking about toatlly different technologies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 View Post
In a very simplified version, yes, it is kinda like T-Mobile @Home... The T-Mobile @ Home uses Wi-Fi to transmit Data and Voice.. Wi-Max is a whole new technology, but it transmits Data and Voice much like the T-Mobile @Home does.. Also, Wi-Max is more like a cellular network in that it can span a much larger area then just a house..

Wi-Max is 4G.. It is Sprint's 4G network... I believe that Wi-Max will not be sold like a Femtocell.. It will be built on towers, much like today's wireless network is set up.. It is a whole new technology, so devices have to be built to use it..

And you apologized and recognized that you were thread jacking... It's no problem!
I hate having to to have a house phone when everyone in my house has at least two cellphone. Pointless to me. I havent had a hardline in the house for 8yrs. Til I got married. A friend of mine has the Tmobile at home and she likes it alot. She says it disconnects alot from her router, but it doesnt really bother her and it says her money.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

The are looking to compete with fixed broadband like cable and DSL. Eventually this will get integrated into hadsets as well but like I mentioned earlier, mobile data use is still pretty light compared to wire line.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2
Threadstarter

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibby50 View Post
so why the hell role it out if no phones can receive the data!?!?!?!
Phones can... But only future phones... Since Wi-Max is not nationally rolled out, the cost to certify Wi-Max capable phones for the U.S. is just not worth it I guess.. It makes more sense (at least for the consumer) to buy phones that have Wi-Max as a feature and then be able to use it when Wi-Max is rolled out where they live.. It's best to saturate the market before it is rolled out then having people like us (those who just dropped close to $600 for a TP or bought a Diamond) buy new phones, only for them to be obsolete for this technology... Honestly, the roll-out of Wi-Max nationally is up in the air, as Sprint is not the most financially sound...
Old 12-12-2008, 04:37 PM
DaGreatOne
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (white)!

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207

Are we just that behind the rest of the world as far as Tech goes? its crazy that we dont even have video calling yet. That should be what they are working on. What is the benefit of CDMA over GSM? why dont all the companies go GSM if its suppose to be better?
Old 12-12-2008, 04:38 PM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50

well **** that im stickin with my beauty love ya buddy
Old 12-12-2008, 04:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

These days GSM and CDMA are about the same in what they can offer. The biggest advantage of GSM is the ablility to pop in a new SIM card when you travel but in terms of performance, they are virtually the same.

We aren't that far behind the world by any means. The fact that we have so much copper and fiber buried to supply our broadband makes us different than countries without that existing infrastructure that leap straight to wireless for data.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion