PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: DROID RAZR
Carrier: Verizon

CPUwalkin is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So Verizon was double-dipping?

I was frustrated in uninformed with the wifi hotspot fee when I upgraded to my DROID RAZR. That $20 fee that added 2GB to my data plan just didn't feel right but there was so much I didn't understand when it came to the many tethering apps that allowed circumvention - I was puzzled and I don't like the unknown.

Here's the result:

FCC Complaint Filed Against Verizon's Tethering Ban

Quote:
Now additional third-party tethering apps have reportedly fallen off the Android Market, and the consumer group called Free Press has filed a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission claiming that the Big Red wireless carrier is violating some of the open access provisions it agreed to when it purchased the 700 MHz spectrum back in 2008.
"Recent news reports suggest that at Verizon’s behest, Google has disabled Verizon customers’ access to third-party tethering applications in Google’s Android Market application store," the complaint reads. "Plainly, Verizon’s actions in disabling access to the tethering applications limit and restrict the ability of users to access those applications. Because users download tethering applications for the express purpose of connecting additional devices to their data connections, Verizon’s actions also limit and restrict the ability of users to connect the devices of their choice to the LTE network. The Commission should immediately investigate this apparent violation of its rules and assess all appropriate penalties."

snip

PdaNet developer June Fabrics reveals the truth behind the claims. "Beginning April 2011 PdaNet has been delisted from the Android Market by some carriers since this very popular app - with over 3 million installs and 4.5+ ratings - shares your phone's Internet connection with your computer and does not require a tether fee or rooting your phone," the company says here. "This leaves a lot of our users stuck with an outdated version and no longer receive update notifications from Android Market."

Was it illegal for Verizon to charge for an access that was intrinsically free to service subscribers on that bandwidth?

This feels a bit like the woolly mammoth in the Starbucks that no one mentions. And surprise, surprise, surprise, Verizon rolls out a new billing plan. . ?

Last edited by CPUwalkin; 06-14-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:26 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: So Verizon was double-dipping?

Yes, they are double dipping. Its a common practice, but all of us here just download it manually. Or if you want automatic updates, you can get the Amazon Appstore.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: DROID RAZR
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

CPUwalkin is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

And this was Verizon's reply?

Verizon blocks unlicensed tethering, insists it can charge extra | Ars Technica

Quote:
Customers who use tethering apps that don't have carrier-approved tethering plans have recently been a point of debate in net neutrality policy. Both AT&T and Verizon have forbidden such unapproved tethering in their customer agreements for years now, but the advocacy group Free Press recently complained to the FCC that blocking tethering apps "curtails, restrains, and interferes" with the ability of customers to use apps of their choice, something that would violate the open access rules Verizon agreed to when it bought a won the 700MHz "C block" of spectrum at auction.
Verizon responded to the Free Press complaint, stating that since it is not blocking tethering entirely, but rather charging for the privilege of using it, the company would be doing nothing wrong in preventing customers from circumventing these charges. The company says that C-block rules "permit nondiscriminatory tiered or usage-based pricing plans that require customers with greater capabilities or higher usage patterns to pay a higher fee." Tetherers use vastly more data than the average mobile user, according to Verizon, and therefore should be charged more.
In the statement, Verizon goes on to say that it should be uncontroversial to halt apps that allow customers to avoid paying more for a service they use more of, and "any other conclusion would be nonsensical."
Nifty. So now data access is sold in blocks with the "surcharge" included.

Well, I suppose it may help wean the mobile ethernet addicted of +8 hours/day streaming? (Yes, I really don't understand the folks who have to be wired in and oblivious to the real world - guess my age is showing, yes?)
Old 06-14-2012, 08:30 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPUwalkin View Post
Nifty. So now data access is sold in blocks with the "surcharge" included.

Well, I suppose it may help wean the mobile ethernet addicted of +8 hours/day streaming? (Yes, I really don't understand the folks who have to be wired in and oblivious to the real world - guess my age is showing, yes?)
Well Verizon is doing nothing wrong based on "technicality". The one who blocks the apps is Google (yes by verizons request but its still not them directly). And they can offer you the option of paying for a service you can get free, it is a rip off but its not the first time.

But the net neutrality rules do protect you from being charged or having your account removed if you are caught tethering (not that there really is a way for them to catch you).

so moral of the story, download amazon appstore and get whatever tethering app you wish.

I have been with verizon for over 6 month and had no problems so far
Old 06-20-2012, 05:43 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

EyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

kind of like movie theaters not allowing you to bring your own food...
you already bought their tickets to watch the movie anyways so why force you to buy more? but they do, and I still walk in carrying a pizza box and see if they try to stop me because I'll ask for a refund of ticket then buy it again and repeat till they let me in

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion