PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Carrier Discussion (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Is Sprint cracking down on data usage? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=149011)

xxxjdoggxxx 02-07-2012 02:30 AM

Is Sprint cracking down on data usage?

Today I received a letter from Sprint about my roaming data usage. The letter is attached (sorry I don't have a scanner so I took a picture of the letter with my phone, it's readable but blurry) Basically it says I am in violation of the roaming terms and conditions. I have unlimited data and roaming is included in my plan. The only time I ever use data on roaming is when I go up to Michigan to visit family which is maybe a couple times a year (there is no Sprint coverage in Upper Michigan). In previous years I took my laptop and tethered with my phone. The last time I went up there however I forgot my laptop and didn't do any tethering. Just some browsing and netflix on my phone. Has anyone else received a similar letter? Should I call Sprint and ask them what the issue is? The letter says my account is being monitored now. Does that mean basically no more tethering for me?

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7316/sprint1.th.jpg

horndoctor 02-07-2012 02:38 AM

Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

It just means that if you continue go over the roaming data limit(whatever that is) they may charge you extra fees or they may threaten you with contract termination. When they say roaming is included they mean calls not data. :(
You can still tether but if you are tethering while roaming then you'll have to watch your KBs. Call them and ask what the limit is.

notinkeys 02-07-2012 10:51 AM

Re: Is Sprint cracking down on data usage?

I believe they give you a small amount of roaming data since some features in the phone use data in the background, so they allow for those functions. When roaming, using data is a very, very bad idea.

mikejones13 02-07-2012 02:09 PM

Some people say it is 300mb limit and some people use over 2gb and never get busted. I would play it safe and NOT use roaming. Now if you watched some netflix, surfed the web that is DATA use thus Sprint thinks you purposely were roaming when you actually went to a place there was NO coverage. Pull it up on a map and show sprint where exactly you were. The only time I personally roam is when 3g just won't cut it and wimax isn't around, right now 32kbps is not cutting it so I do roam but try to stay connected to WIFI or WiMax

gullzway 02-07-2012 04:37 PM

Terms & Conditions

Off-network Roaming: The primary use of your Device must be for domestic purposes within the Sprint-owned network. Domestic means use in the 50 United States and U.S. Territories (except Guam). Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds: (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes.

fixxxer2012 02-07-2012 06:02 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; ADR6400L Build/FRG83D; ThunderShed-v1.2_CM7.2.0) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Any data roaming in excess will result in a letter from sprint. I still say sprint will do away with unlimted data in time.

kingnba6 02-07-2012 06:36 PM

my girl friend has a epic 4g with sprint and unlimited everything. i use her phone on tether a lot. watch netflix on the ipad or other things a lot from her tether

xxxjdoggxxx 02-08-2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxxer2012 (Post 2167564)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; ADR6400L Build/FRG83D; ThunderShed-v1.2_CM7.2.0) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Any data roaming in excess will result in a letter from sprint. I still say sprint will do away with unlimted data in time.

Sadly you are probably right. Every other company has got rid of unlimited data. It is pretty sad with the capabilities of our devices the one thing holding us back is how much data you can use. If I understand correctly the fine print says unlimited means 5GB. I could use that much data in a couple days just from streaming internet radio and web browsing (listen to internet radio 8-12 hours a day at work). I am paying almost $100 a month for my plan when I make almost no phone calls on my cell and mostly use it for it's data capabilities. If Sprint decides to crack down on data usage I will likely cancel my plan and go to a plan with voice only because there will be no point to paying that type of money if I use my monthly data limit up within a couple days.

gullzway 02-08-2012 02:23 AM

There is no limit on Sprint data, only when roaming. The 5 GB limit is only for mobile broadband cards, not cellphones. No worries!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using PPCGeeks

kingnba6 02-08-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gullzway (Post 2167664)
There is no limit on Sprint data, only when roaming. The 5 GB limit is only for mobile broadband cards, not cellphones. No worries!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using PPCGeeks

:withstupid: