PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 11:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint

Amamba is keeping up the good workAmamba is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Recommend a Sprint phone for wife

Hi,

We have a data familiy plan but just one smartphone. My wife's eligible for an upgrade in February and I need help getting her a phone.

She wants to be able to browse the internet, send text messages, use GPS. She doesn't care for games, and I don't think she would have any patience for software related issues like SOD. So, even as I am toying with a possibility of giving her my Touch Pro 2, and getting something latest & greatest for myself, this is probably a wrong choice - she won't use 80% of what it's great for, and she won't like having to soft reset even a couple times a week.

So, is there a Sprint phone that has a decent size screen, useable querty k/b (hard or soft), decent battery life, and no major issues ?
Old 12-23-2010, 12:25 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: Recommend a Sprint phone for wife

if it were today, Id say get here an Optimus S... you can find them free, and it has android 2.2(getting 2.3)... and best of all, it wont break your wallet... my gf has never had a smartphone and LOOVES the Optimus...

in February, who knows... CES first week of Jan, and it looks like CDMA carriers are set to show off some WP7 devices(rumor)... so by Feb - the EVO Shift(smaller evo with slide out KB) and others will be available(possibly)
Old 12-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

My wife was really considering the new Blackberry style. It looks like a solid little phone. The only thing I've heard is that the web browsing experience is not at the same level as an android's. However. It's fun, compact, easy to use, reliable, it has a decent camera with a flash, a headphone jack, comes with an 8gb card, has pandora and slacker and iheartradio apps available for it. Hell. I almost sold myself. lol.
She's changed her mind however and is waiting to see what comes out in the next couple of months. But she is also considering a WP7 phone. She had my old TP and has recently been upgraded by the warranty to a TP2. So a 7pro might not be a bad transition for her. Especially if it has WP7.5 built in.
p.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint EVRP

kevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to kevmo1965

Go Android.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

That EVO Shift looks like a great option.
p.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:25 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

my wife had the TP2 & hated it....always complaining.....I tried pushing Android, either the EVO shift or Intercept, but ended up getting the Blackberry Style....she loves it!
Old 01-09-2011, 05:17 PM
#1 troll!
Pocket PC: Moto G5 Plus
Carrier: AT&T aka deathstar

fixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

id give her either a blackberry "my wife loves hers" or a lg optimus S. ive heard great things about it and it's a budget android phone.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre, HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint "Simply Everything"

tx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
if it were today, Id say get here an Optimus S... you can find them free, and it has android 2.2(getting 2.3)... and best of all, it wont break your wallet... my gf has never had a smartphone and LOOVES the Optimus...

in February, who knows... CES first week of Jan, and it looks like CDMA carriers are set to show off some WP7 devices(rumor)... so by Feb - the EVO Shift(smaller evo with slide out KB) and others will be available(possibly)
I share the same opinions as boredand tattooed. But I personally would hold off on upgrading for a few weeks until the new phones are available. Like the EVO shift, Windows Phone 7, etc. Plus by then, the HTC EVO and the Samsung Epic should drop in price. So waiting to upgrade is your best option right now.

I wouldn't give your wife the Touch Pro 2 because like you said it's more a pain in the ass for people who don't need all it's features. Plus it's not the most user friendly phone for most people. Sell it on Craigslist to recover some of the $ of your new phone purchase.

It's the beginning of a new year for the wireless industry and the new devices will be out very soon. At least some will. But don't bother trying to stay on top of the latest and greatest phones because that's a never-ending battle. Just pick a nice phone and enjoy it.

*Phones with Android 2.2 and higher have the ABSOLUTE BEST mobile web browsing experience over Blackberry and old windows mobile. (my wife is totally hooked on her HTC EVO and it's AWESOME web browser!) Our laptops collect dust now. Android has a slightly longer learning curve but very user friendly and not complicated to use at all. Far more features than BlackBerries.
*BlackBerry phones are very easy to learn and use but are more limited in features compared to Android phones. Blackberry phones are very durable, dependable, and text/email works great and second to none. Although Blackberry phones lack full Adobe Flash support and limited html functionality. Overall great communication devices for people who don't need the best web browsing experience.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion

Tags
phone, recommend, sprint