PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Carrier Discussion (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Question About Sprint Automatic Spending Limit Accounts (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=122857)

damewolf 05-29-2010 12:51 AM

Question About Sprint Automatic Spending Limit Accounts

I have been approved for a new Sprint account with ASL when Evo drops, but I am questioning if this is a set up by Sprint to always go over their limits. I have seen several complaints on the $4.99 charge that is added to ASL accounts unless you make recurring payments, but no info from anyone on whether these ASL limits are reasonable or hard to maintain. If anyone here could enlighten me even a little bit, I would appreciate it so much.
-Thanks

Mswezey 05-29-2010 02:01 AM

Re: Question About Sprint Automatic Spending Limit Accounts

I have the same thing
and where are you getting the info from saying its a "set up" from Sprint to make sure you go over you limit??? Not true.

Example: I have a spending limit account of $125, because my mom had bad credit when I got the phone in her name when I was 17 and got my first job. (yeah i pay for my own phone :P, unlike some spoiled teens who which one i know just got a brand new dodge challenger...v6 though blahh) end rant..

Anyways, it's just there so you can't rack up a HUGE bill with Sprint because from your credit stand point of view, you can't back it up - not saying you can't or have bad credit, Sprint thinks so not me :) . So after a couple of months of not paying my bill, I would go over my spending limit, which in turn they start shutting down my service to my cell phone. But it does allow you to skip a month or two if your money is tight which is also nice.

The $5 fee sucks in my opinion, which after I get a TOL (transfer of liability) to my name and I have good credit, hopefully Sprint will take away my spending limit.

If you don't like it, try to set up auto payments, but only if you know you will always have the money in the bank.

damewolf 05-29-2010 03:25 AM

Mswezey,
Thanks for the reply. I was not saying that Sprint is deliberately trying to set us up for failure, only wondering if the spending limits set are reasonable enough to enjoy the device that you purchased. For instance, if I get the Evo with the mandatory $80 plan (includes that $10 Evo data chg) and $7 insurance, with all of the fees/taxes that cell phone providers tack on to the bill including the monthly ASL $5 fee, it adds up fast. Will it even be possible to stay under a $125 limit? Just wondering if it is worth it.:-|

Mswezey 05-29-2010 05:29 PM

Ahh... I see your point now :)

So is $125 your current limit? Or do you know yet?
I've read posts where people call Sprint and can ask them to raise their spending limit up some more, but that's only after they have been a customer for some time.

As of right now, I was on the $50 plan with the $15 data package with $7 insurance, $5 fee and taxes and such...roughly $84 bucks a month and only once I have had it were Sprint actually started shutting down service to my phone. But you can definitely get away for not paying for a month, but just make sure you stay under your limit.
I just switched to the $70 plan, which includes gps and unlimited mobile to mobile, that way I can become a Sprint Premier Customer. And I plan on getting the Evo so Ill be in the same boat as you with that $80 + fees a month

BUT I did get the 25% discount of my phone bill!!! Which should apply this month's bill or next. I don't know if you read about that yet, but its not hard to find or hard to do!

So if you don't mind, "bending" the rules, I'd go with that and lower your monthly bill. Which in turn will help you stay under that pesky spending limit!

Just my insight on things. :)

damewolf 05-29-2010 08:25 PM

Yah, I think I am gonna give it a go, and hope for the best. Gotta have that Evo. :-)

Mswezey 05-30-2010 01:47 AM

Sounds like a plan!!!

Oh btw, I check my sprint account today. Got my new bill with the discount, only took 1 billing period :) Shaved off a little over $17 bucks off my phone bill !

tx_dbs_tx 05-31-2010 06:35 AM

The spending limit Sprint sets on new accounts is actually a good thing. It keeps you from going over and racking up a huge bill. In most cases the spending limit set for a single line or family share account is always more than what your unlimited plan costs each month. It's nothing to be concerned about at all. It's still concidered a post payed account and it's not pre-paid by any means. As already stated above, sprint will shut off your phone if it reaches your spending for any reason, such as if you don't have an unlimited minute plan and minutes add up. If you get an unlimited everything plan you have absolutely 0 worries as long as you pay your bill each month.

If you have a problem and can't pay your current bill by the due date or shortly after, simply call sprint and they will give you time to pay it. A "promise to pay" should never be broken though. Partial payments are always accepted to get your account under the spending limit and Sprint will resume your service if it happened to be temporarily suspended. You can pay all or part of your bill in all corporate Sprint stores. Sprint has always been extremely understanding and lenient with late payments on customers' accounts. You will be happy with Sprint just make sure you have a spending limit that is more than your plan + any accidental overages. I highly recommend an unlimited minute and data plan if you can afford it. You will always know how much your bill is each month and you will never have any suprize bils.

I hope i helped you understand a bit better.

mulhiny 05-31-2010 02:59 PM

When I had an ASL I want to say it was well above whatever my monthly bill was..But, as long as you pay your bills on time then you have nothing to worry about anyway. If you are not one to pay bills on time I suggest Boost Mobile =)

I think it is completely reasonable of Sprint to instill these ASL and their monthly fee. They just are protecting the contract you sign stating that you agree to pay $x.xx amount per month for service for 2 years. If you don't agree to the per month charge setup auto pay. After a year or so the ASL goes away.

Mswezey 05-31-2010 05:41 PM

Well I've been with sprint for almost 4 years, they never took the ASL away. Of course I never called and asked them to anyway, but I'll wait till I get the contract transfered to my name :)

mulhiny 05-31-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mswezey (Post 1783887)
Well I've been with sprint for almost 4 years, they never took the ASL away. Of course I never called and asked them to anyway, but I'll wait till I get the contract transfered to my name :)

Yeah, if you've been paying your bills on time for 4 years I'd def have them remove it. Just call and I'm sure it will be gone. As fas as I know, they will remove it after one year of no defaults in payment.