PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > Blackberry

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 12:16 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

allwires is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to allwires Send a message via MSN to allwires Send a message via Yahoo to allwires Send a message via Skype™ to allwires
Blackberry and privacy

Hi guys,

I'm going to be shopping around for a new phone soon and I recently I'm tired and sick of companies like Google and Apple having ulterior motives with their phones, such as using users to collect location data of for their other services. I know I probably sound like a conspiracy theorist right now, but I guess I am old-school and just want my privacy.

So my question is this: Is there still any mobile phone OS that doesn't do that kind of stuff at any chance they get? More specifically, do blackberries do location tracking or have other privacy issues?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 05-02-2011, 06:30 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: sprint

49311 is a n00b
Re: Blackberry and privacy

I think all smart phones do this now. This is in their User Agreements that everyone checks I Agree to.

The only way off the grid is pay as you go phone (although that is not a smart phone)

Welcome to 1984
Old 05-04-2011, 12:17 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Blackberry and privacy

Not to make you paranoid, but cell companies I think do this too on any GPS enabled phone, which is pretty much any of them made in the last 6 years. With Android, you opt in to it. When you set up your Android phone, you get an option to send data to Google. With iOS, you can probably kill the file. I'm sure there are nice workarounds coming around now. Probably a BB is the best way to go and you can put a password on your phone and stuff but there is a limit to how much you can protect yourself.

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > Blackberry