PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Blackberry (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Who has their BlackBerry unlocked? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=108600)

basilray 01-29-2010 06:37 PM

Who has their BlackBerry unlocked?

I was over at Crackberry.com trying to do some basic 101-style learning and found the unlock section. I will potentially be traveling overseas for work, so thought I would take a peak.

Turns out, my Tour is already unlocked! I don't know if the previous owner did this, or it came that way. Apparently a number of Sprint Tours have come SIM unlocked by mistake.

To check:

1. Options
2. Advanced Options
3. Sim Card
4. Type MEPD on the BB Keyboard - nothing will show on the screen to indicate your are typing
5. After typing, a listing of items should appear
6a. If network says "Disabled" you are unlocked
6b. If network says "Active" you are locked

facemob 01-29-2010 06:55 PM

Re: Who has their BlackBerry unlocked?

all mines says disabled and mines was str8 new from sprint

Dr.8820 01-29-2010 06:57 PM

i won an unlock code yesterday from boygeniusreport.com! i'll be putting it to use!

Wideawake 01-29-2010 08:49 PM

Apparently Sprint doesn't lock sim capabilities on their BBs. But VZW does, recently got my SIM unlock code but had to get from a 3rd party site since VZW was no help in wanting to give me the code.
~Mike

eenieMINI 01-29-2010 10:09 PM

Yeah if you have sprint and its not automatically unlocked when you get it you just call and say you need your sim unlock code they send you to the international line and you're given what you need. Its a simple process and what I needed to do when I got mine because I have one of the initial release models that weren't unlocked yet.

I think you can get it done with a phone call to Verizon also, shouldn't be a fee. Its not like WinMo phones where we need to unlock them so we can mod them.. its more of unlocking to use the sim card on gsm carrier.

basilray 01-29-2010 10:41 PM

Yeah.

I have seen prices from $15 to $70 to unlock your phone. Seems like a HUGE waste of money.

MrObvious 01-30-2010 03:04 AM

Wirelessly posted (Touch Diamond: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.61 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

How do you do it? Is it pretty easy?

eenieMINI 01-30-2010 08:17 PM

When you get your code its simple to input the data. There is a step by step somewhere but you're basically just typing on the phone.

found this on Google since I couldn't find my notes on my computer, I probably deleted the steps after I successfully unlocked... of course you need to call your carrier's international support line but the rest is the same..

1. Call Sprint International Support – (817) 698-4199, prompt #2
2. Ask them if they’d kindly unlock your SIM slot on your BlackBerry Tour
3. Turn off your wireless network connection on the Tour (yes, you’ll have to call from another phone)
4. Click on Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card
5. Type MEPD
6. Type MEP2
7. The representative should give you a 16-digit code
8. Thank the representative for their help
9. Reboot your phone and you’re ready to go

When it says type MEPD you just start typing on the SIM card screen there is no place to "input" the text. when you type MEPD the next screen comes up and you do the MEP2 then you put the code