PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 01:31 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ImapPusherService

Imap IDEL push service for ppc's. NO Desktop or subscription needed, just simple push gmail (imap)
EDIT; .NET CF 3.5 is required

I haven't had time to play with this yet, but I though I better let this cat out of the bag, so to speak. Big thanks to gmurray over @ XDA

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=404515
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmurray View Post
All,
I've let the first release of Imap Pusher Service out of the bag. It's still pretty rough, but if you configure it right, it works well enough that you may get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

The program runs in the background and subscribes to IMAP IDLE notifications. When the notifications arrive it can do a send/receive on the PocketOutlook account you specify, effectively enabling push email for your Gmail account (or other imap server that supports the IDLE command).

Again, there are some known issues with the current version (I will hopefully address these soon), but I would like to know what you think. Here's the link.

http://www.codeplex.com/ImapPusherService

Update: version 0.2.0 is released
Changes: more descriptive error messages, ability to turn on trace log to help me diagnose problems.
If you are having issues you would like to resolve, capture the trace log and send it to me.

Update: version 0.2.1 is released
Changes: found bug which was causing client to not be able to reconnect in some cirumstances, should be resolved.

Update: version 0.2.2 is released
Changes: fixed problem where IDLE command was not getting refreshed when IMAP server was being to chatty.

Update: version 0.2.3 is released
Changes: fixed problem where if IMAP server says that it has a server error this was ignored.

Update: version 0.5.0 is released
Changes: program will atttempt to connect data connection if not connected.
some resource leaks have been fixed, will hopefully prevent the hanging.

Update: version 0.6.0 is released
Changes: program allows you to save your settings, and will not prompt you next time you start it. To get the prompt again, currently you need to delete the settings file. Note that storing your settings stores your encrypted password on your device, and since this is an open source program, anyone can lookup how I do the encryption, so only use this option if you are comfortable, and change your email password if you lose your device!
http://www.codeplex.com/ImapPusherService
Quote:
Project Description
Want push mail from an IMAP server (like Gmail) on your windows mobile device? Then this project is for you. This program runs as a service and subscribes to IMAP IDLE commands to know when new messages arrive at the IMAP mailbox. It will then tell Pocket Outlook to send/receive.

For more information/updates see my blog

If you think this project is useful, and are feeling generous, you can buy me a beer or two

Documentation

Last edited Jun 30 at 11:27 PM by gmurray, version 13
Comments
alyoshka_2008 wrote Oct 1 at 5:29 AM
What about traffic? Is it less than traffic in Outlook Mobile? Because in OM i can simple select download intervals.
alyoshka_2008 wrote Oct 1 at 5:29 AM
How to uninstall application?
gmurray wrote Oct 6 at 2:46 PM
1) Traffic _should_ be similar to traffic from using DirectPush in P-Outlook, in that it will keep the data connection up all the time, and will every so often send a heartbeat to keep the connection alive.
2) Just delete the files. You may need to soft-reset first if it is running.

Last edited by shaggylive; 12-10-2008 at 01:04 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:46 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul (PPC6800) > HTC Touch (PPC6900) > HTC Touch Pro (PPC6850)
Carrier: Sprint Sero (1200 Min Plan)

divxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to divxrippimp Send a message via MSN to divxrippimp Send a message via Yahoo to divxrippimp Send a message via Skype™ to divxrippimp
Re: ImapPusherService

Have you set this up and got it working properly? I tried setting this up and it seems to have setup, but how do i know if its working? im not getting my mail faster, im confused...
Old 11-19-2008, 11:09 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Threadstarter

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

no, I havn't yet, but maybe toinght..
faster than what?
Old 11-21-2008, 02:07 AM
Almost a VIP

divxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to divxrippimp Send a message via MSN to divxrippimp Send a message via Yahoo to divxrippimp Send a message via Skype™ to divxrippimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
no, I havn't yet, but maybe toinght..
faster than what?
As in, when i send a test email, my phone still checks every 10 min like i have it set to... I cant find any documentation or how-tos for this app anywhere
Old 11-21-2008, 08:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

AndyCR512 is becoming a great contributor

This works perfectly for me. Any email sent to my gmail account is received within 10 seconds, usually 5. Excellent.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Almost a VIP

what email type is it setup with?

my gmail doesnt push at all... it gets the emails thru seven, but they arnt fast at all... any tips?
Old 11-22-2008, 01:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

AndyCR512 is becoming a great contributor

This is all I did for my Touch Pro:

Installed .NET CF 3.5
Placed ImapPusherService folder in root
Launched program
Gave it my GMail credentials
Set the default WM mail app to only check mail every 4 hours for battery life

From then on, I get any email within 10 seconds. I've tested it with 6+ emails back and forth to test notification settings, etc.

I can't comment on battery life yet - my phone is usually begging to be charged at about 10PM after being in standby overnight and used/in standby all day, and that's with checking email every 15 minutes. Hopefully it'll improve it a bit - apparently checking that often is costly.

I'll help however I can.

Last edited by AndyCR512; 11-22-2008 at 01:43 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:22 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Threadstarter

thanks, I keep getting distracted and haven't even setup my email accounts yet...
I didn't realize the quotes I posted failed to mention the .NET CF 3.5 requirement, sorry all.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Almost a VIP

ok i figured out my issue, when it asks for mailbox title you have to type in the exact mailbox title of your inbox in outlook...
Old 11-22-2008, 10:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

laestrella is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by divxrippimp View Post
ok i figured out my issue, when it asks for mailbox title you have to type in the exact mailbox title of your inbox in outlook...
that was my problem as well and now it works. thanks.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development