PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > HTC Kaiser

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Tilt
Carrier: AT&T

clsifford80 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tilt owner trying to get more advanced

i've had my tilt for about a year now. i love it! it has more potential than i realized when i bought it. i've been installing software (MemMaid, Kaiser Tweak, QuickMenu, and Dialers (none of which have big enough buttons AND work properly)). pretty much just customizing and personalizing it, making it easier to navigate and free up memory. i love the HSPDA capabilities! internet clocks 2-3 times faster than 3G regularly. i would like to start doing some more advanced things, but i get lost with all the terminology that i don't know. what is "Flashing the ROM" and "the Kitchen?" can i run a different operating system, or am i stuck with Windows? if so, where is there a good download to upgrade to WM 6.1, and is it worth it to upgrade? what does it mean to "unlock" my phone, should i, and how do i? i have lots more questions, and i'm sure i'll develop some more as i learn more, so any help i can get from anyone would be greatly appreciated. i'm finding it a bit difficult to navigate thru this site and find what i'm looking for. the same stuff seems to pop up on several different searches. oh, and GO LONGHORNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Incredible Hulk Movie.jpg (121.7 KB, 8 views) Click for barcode!
Old 10-11-2008, 01:44 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
Re: Tilt owner trying to get more advanced

www.xda-developers.com

Kaiser forum.

All your answers are there.

Comcast EXTREME:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/584166480.png
Old 10-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

CID Unlocking: making it so you can flash a non-carrier signed rom (aka "custom")
SIM Unlocking: making it so you can use another carriers SIM in your phone
Unlocking: implies CID unlocking usually, sometimes SIM and CID unlocking
Kitchen: program for making custom roms
Flashing: the process of putting the rom on your phone

There are only kitchens/roms available for WindowsMobile, to my knowledge. Android may exist.

The best kitchen is easy to find: check out the sticky here at PPCgeeks
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsifford80 View Post
i've had my tilt for about a year now. i love it! it has more potential than i realized when i bought it. i've been installing software (MemMaid, Kaiser Tweak, QuickMenu, and Dialers (none of which have big enough buttons AND work properly)). pretty much just customizing and personalizing it, making it easier to navigate and free up memory. i love the HSPDA capabilities! internet clocks 2-3 times faster than 3G regularly. i would like to start doing some more advanced things, but i get lost with all the terminology that i don't know. what is "Flashing the ROM" and "the Kitchen?" can i run a different operating system, or am i stuck with Windows? if so, where is there a good download to upgrade to WM 6.1, and is it worth it to upgrade? what does it mean to "unlock" my phone, should i, and how do i? i have lots more questions, and i'm sure i'll develop some more as i learn more, so any help i can get from anyone would be greatly appreciated. i'm finding it a bit difficult to navigate thru this site and find what i'm looking for. the same stuff seems to pop up on several different searches. oh, and GO LONGHORNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Kaiser/Tilt
Carrier: Fido

Exitao is a n00b

Gguruusa gives some good help, but let me make it even more newbie friendly however, by continuing to read past this point you absolve me from any liabilities should your head explode:

ROM - when it's hardware, it means Read Only Memory. It's a chip that has information stored on it and you can't write to the chip. In this case, the information is the Windows Mobile operating system. As well, these chips are Flash ROMs, which means that you can write to them, but more like a disk-at-once on a CD or DVD. So when you use an update from AT&T or HTC, it's actually writing to the flash ROM; that's flashing.

ROM - in software/firmware terms, it's actually like a disc image. When people talk about downloading or cooking or flashing ROMs, they generally mean these firmware images that will be written (flashed) to the hardware flash ROM.

Firmware - like software, but it resides in hardware and while it can have some information changed on it, most of it can't be altered except with an update program and usually gets flashed or updated all at once.
Examples:
  • The BIOS on your mainboard, you can change settings, but to alter the BIOS you have to flash it.
  • CD/DVD burners use firmware, it tells them how to write/read different media, and has the regional setting which can usually be changed like 5 times.
  • iPods do too. When you use the restore or update functions in iTunes it's altering the firmware.
Kitchen - gguruusa explained it, but it's essentially a collection of utilities and scripts which will allow you to extract (dump) a ROM (the firmware version) from a device, or take apart a ROM, remove stuff, add stuff (general customising) and then reconstruct the ROM and even digitally sign it (with no signature it can't beflashed onto a ROM).

Cooking - is the above-mentioned customising within the environment of the kitchen.

CID Unlocking - CID = Carrier ID. If you bought your phone as part of a contract, it was probably locked to that carrier or service provider (i.e. SIM lock, only their SIM cards work) and it was locked so that only ROMs signed by them can be flashed. CID unlocking causes the phone to allow any signed ROM to be flashed. CID unlocked phones report themselves as SuperCID. With the Kaiser, I believe, they don't usually CD unlock, instead they install a...

Hard SPL - A little more of the basics to start with, when you power up your phone (i.e. boot up) the first thing to run is the boot loader. When the system boots, the boot loader loads the things the hardware needs to run into the memory. These phones have two boot loaders IPL and SPL. Intitial and Secondary Program Loaders. The IPL is very low level (like the BIOS on your PC) and the SPL loads the OS. It also makes your phone report itself as SuperCID. From what I understand, even if your phone is carrier unlocked, the Hard SPL also helps make it less likely for your phone to be bricked when flashing (bricked? turning your phone into an expensive paperweight) and prevent weird little problems when using custom cooked ROMs. You will need to intall a hard SPL. You may hear the term SSPL someday...

When you have a ROM to flash you'll usually have 2 files KaiserCustomRUU.exe, and RUU_signed.nbh. The nbh file is the ROM image. KaiserCustomRUU is the program which flashes the the ROM and this is the nice tidy version that extracts its tools and then deletes them when finished, otherwise you'll see a bunch of files the important one being ROMUpdate utility (RUU). Essentially it puts the phone into bootloader mode; it restarts and the screen shows a tricolour image (you can do that manually by turning off your phone and powering it up while holding the camera button, try and see, if you just reset at that point it will restart with no changes), the update software usually asks you to confirm at this point and then once it starts, you are commited. If you mess with it at this point, you could brick your phone. This is where the SSPL comes in, the phone is put into bootloader, the software loads the SSPL into memory which allows write access to the ROM so that it can be flashed.

Before you ever flash anything except a ROM provided by the carrier your phone came from, you need to know things about the ROM:
Which version Radio does it come with? If no radio, which radios will work with it?
Which versions HardSPL are compatable? (I think there are 4 versions)

Here is a guide for flashing the Kaiser.

This link is a thread in the XDA-Developers forums. Exit that thread into that specific forum and it is the Kaiser ROM forum. The sticky threads have the HardSPL links, FAQs and links a Radio thread. Read them.

This may seem daunting and you may think that the risk is too great, but if you follow instructions, you'll be fine. Take a look at some of the ROM offerings in the forum, they have screen pics so you can see what the ROMs look like and you'll see exactly the sort of things/improvements that you've said you want.

Other links:
The Kaiser Wiki

Glossary of Terms

A "Before you start" thread with informative links.

Last edited by Exitao; 11-07-2008 at 04:37 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > HTC Kaiser