PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 03:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO 2
Carrier: BOOST

thecensor is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tethering questions

I installed FRX07.1. on my TP2 activated on Boost.

My question is, can I tether it to my computer? will I be able to access files on the SDcard and will I be able to share internet on the computer through the phone?

Thanks
Old 12-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Re: Tethering questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecensor View Post
I installed FRX07.1. on my TP2 activated on Boost.

My question is, can I tether it to my computer? will I be able to access files on the SDcard and will I be able to share internet on the computer through the phone?

Thanks
Tethering works fine. USB tethering is rock-solid, but the built-in wifi tethering is flaky at best (seems to work fine until you want to disable it). Third party wifi tethering solutions (XDAndroid Wifi Tether for example) work without much breakage.

Access files on the SD card? You can't really do that now. USB mass storage doesn't work, Android is using the SD card so there's no way for Android to unmount it... It's in use!! You can use Droid Explorer to fake it tho. Please read the FAQ.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:49 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Treo Pro/Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO/Boost

Starfox is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Access files on the SD card? You can't really do that now. USB mass storage doesn't work, Android is using the SD card so there's no way for Android to unmount it... It's in use!! You can use Droid Explorer to fake it tho. Please read the FAQ.
There is a way, but it requires patching initrd, a redone rootfs, possibly a new kernel, and a partitioned setup. I fiddled with it a few month back and it can be done, but is not very easy. A stock partitioned setup still has the rootfs open through the fat partition, even though it seems you can unmount /sdcard.

-- Starfox
Old 12-13-2011, 02:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

thecensor is a n00b

Thanks.

I installed Android explorer and it works, I'm still trying to figure out how to get internet on my computer through the phone...
Old 12-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Thanks.

I installed Android explorer and it works, I'm still trying to figure out how to get internet on my computer through the phone...
Did you bother reading my post?

I addressed USB tethering, and 2 different types of wifi tethering (most of which is already in the FAQ!!) What more do you want!??!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

thecensor is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Did you bother reading my post?

I addressed USB tethering, and 2 different types of wifi tethering (most of which is already in the FAQ!!) What more do you want!??!
I did read your post and the FAQ, that's how I knew to install Android explorer, I'm interested in USB tethering, however when I plug in the USB to the phone, my computer doesn't get an IP address and can't surf the internet. Do I need a driver? I think I read that that's impossible under windows 7.

Thanks again.

Last edited by thecensor; 12-13-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
I did read your post and the FAQ, that's how I knew to install Android explorer, I'm interested in USB tethering, however when I plug in the USB to the phone, my computer doesn't get an IP address and can't surf the internet. Do I need a driver? I think I read that that's impossible under windows 7.

Thanks again.
Someone said they couldn't, but I went home and plugged into my Win7 lappy and it hooked up right away. They never got back to me (or the thread) so I assumed it was user-error.

It doesn't get an IP, do you see some stuff in Device Manager that has a yellow question mark? I am going to pillage my Win7 lappy soon back to factory (needs repairs...) so I can see from a fresh install what happens. I'm 99.999999% sure adb is not required to tether.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

thecensor is a n00b

NO yellow or red in device manager, no mention of phone either. I can try it on my XP netbook, do I need a driver for XP?
Does the fact that I'm using a spring phone on boost have anything to do with the problem?

Last edited by thecensor; 12-13-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
NO yellow or red in device manager, no mention of phone either. I can try it on my XP netbook, do I need a driver for XP?
Dude... I already said you probably don't need one for 7. I don't think you need one for XP. It should "just work".

You're enabling USB tethering after plugging it in, right?
Old 12-13-2011, 06:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

thecensor is a n00b

Yes, I do the settings-Tethering and portable hot spots and enable tethering, but nothing

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2