PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

nerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HTC phone can not connect to another HTC phone??

has ht or android done something to make it impossible to "connect" one HTC phone to another.

I have an EVO. VERY nice gadget. I can't use it since I have a legacy account as a cell phone but it makes an amazing android tablet. LOVE the screen.

anyway I figure ok I will just tether it to my TP2 (android or WM6.5)

NO JOY. neither of my evo's will SEE either of my TP2 whether in android or in WM.

they see all the other networks. the two TP2's can see EACH OTHER when in windows mobile.

but NEITHER the android 2.3.3 evo's or the 2.2 froyo tp2 will see the other phones.

its almost as if they are ignoring each other on purpose.

SO I can't tether my evo to my tp2 because my evo REFUSE to acknowledge that the Tp2 is even their. it will NOT see its SSID.

I tried to tether while in ANDROID on the TP2 but the tether app does NOT WORK. it fails to load says "try again" every time.

yes wifi works in android I have used it several times no issues.

I ALSO notice that froyo 2.2 android TP2 "WILL NOT SEE" the WM tp2 while in android

but it will see it while in WM6.5

so what gives here? why can't android see my wm6.5 tether?

I swear its almost as if its programmed to NOT SEE it on purpose or something ???

all my other devices and laptops see the wifi connection just fine.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Re: HTC phone can not connect to another HTC phone??

Android can't connect to adhoc networks. You need a true AP to connect to, not adhoc.

The built-in wifi tethering app throws up an 'actual' AP, not an adhoc network... but the built-in tethering app is flaky at best.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

nerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

hmm I thought wifi sharing in windows mobile WAS access point based.

its adhoc? what app do you suggest I use in WM so I can tether my android tp2 and evo to it ?
Old 09-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
hmm I thought wifi sharing in windows mobile WAS access point based.

its adhoc? what app do you suggest I use in WM so I can tether my android tp2 and evo to it ?
First, this is the Android dev section. As Android questions here please. WinMo questions go in the 'main' part of the TP2 section.

Second, I am not aware of any WinMo apps that don't use adhoc networks.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Yes I know that. I was "assuming" it was an android problem since the winmo phones can see each other but as soon as I go android "splat" nothing. but if the winmo program is also adhoc then that explains that my laptop shows it as a "access point" so I had assumed it was an access point.

what about an AP tether program for the droid side?
Old 09-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yes I know that. I was "assuming" it was an android problem since the winmo phones can see each other but as soon as I go android "splat" nothing. but if the winmo program is also adhoc then that explains that my laptop shows it as a "access point" so I had assumed it was an access point.

what about an AP tether program for the droid side?
I already answered you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh
The built-in wifi tethering app throws up an 'actual' AP, not an adhoc network... but the built-in tethering app is flaky at best.
There's a boatload of 3rd party wifi tethering apps (XDAndroid even has one...) but they all utilize adhoc AFAIK. As I already stated, the only one that I know of that uses an actual AP is the built-in tethering app.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Understood. a point of order not to start a fight but "the only one that I know" is new you did NOT state this in your original post. HENCE my request for any apps that DO do it "AP" style.

the XDA one is what I have but it won't work at all (refuses to start says error try again)
Old 09-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Thumbs up Re: HTC phone can not connect to another HTC phone??

Quote:
Understood. a point of order not to start a fight but "the only one that I know" is new you did NOT state this in your original post. HENCE my request for any apps that DO do it "AP" style.

the XDA one is what I have but it won't work at all (refuses to start says error try again)
Oy...

If you find one that does use a 'real' AP as opposed to an adhoc network, please do tell. I'm only reciting my personal experience in testing wifi tethering apps.

The only one I've ever tested that has actually used a real AP is the built-in wifi tethering app in Android. I haven't found any in WinMo, but I honestly haven't looked that hard.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

I understand. you just seemed to get mad at me when I asked as if you had already answered me (but you did not) no big deal.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

You could try WMWiFiRouter on your TP2 and see if the EVO can connect to it. The newest version is not free though.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2