PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 04:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint

Amamba is keeping up the good workAmamba is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2 problems - would they go away if I dual-boot from main memory ?

If I understand it correctly, using Nand, you can install the Android in main memory instead of booting it from SD card. I assume it allows to dual-boot WM still.

I've been running XDAndroid for a couple of days now, and I have two persistent problems - random reboots and slowdowns. The overall speed of the system seems to be somewhat slower than WM - i.e. it's pretty fast but every now and then just starts to lag, so overall I'd say it's just a tad slower experience than Vin's Plutonium.

Seems like the random reboots are quite common, and I am wondering if they're related to SD card, i.e. are people getting them while running off the main memory ?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Us Cellular

lioncat55 is keeping up the good worklioncat55 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: 2 problems - would they go away if I dual-boot from main memory ?

you can not dual boot from nand its one or the other.
Three things i have learned is Over Clock, task killer and keeping apps that run in the background low. My random reboots only happen when i over load the system. i have very little random reboots mainly when using maps for a long time.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: E4GT, Touch Pro 2, Evo, Blackberry 9330

matchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I found it to be slow and somewhat laggy over a few days when I wasn't overclocking. With a steady overclock of 787mhz, the phone runs flawlessly. Contrarily, the reboots could be cause by being overclocked too much (I don't know if you are or not), but if you aren't, I would try a different kernel.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Threadstarter

Amamba is keeping up the good workAmamba is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchstickredgti View Post
I found it to be slow and somewhat laggy over a few days when I wasn't overclocking. With a steady overclock of 787mhz, the phone runs flawlessly. Contrarily, the reboots could be cause by being overclocked too much (I don't know if you are or not), but if you aren't, I would try a different kernel.
I'm overclocking to 748 mhz, which is what I run in WM without instability. I've ran into a couple of other issues which make me not want to run XDAndroid on it full time, however as a platform that lets me to get used to Android, in case I want to switch to it in the future, it's great.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amamba View Post
I'm overclocking to 748 mhz, which is what I run in WM without instability. I've ran into a couple of other issues which make me not want to run XDAndroid on it full time, however as a platform that lets me to get used to Android, in case I want to switch to it in the future, it's great.
You have a great attitude towards it. Maybe one day XDAndroid will perfectly replace WinMo, but that day is not today. We're always working to make it better, and I'm hoping in time we'll match or exceed what the Vogue guys had!
Old 08-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

nerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

No matter what we think of android the fact that you guy managed to get it to not only run but run usably on the Tp2 is AMAZING. great work.

what are suggested apps for over clocking the tp2 in android?

task killer? AHHH I wondered about that. SO when I hit the end or back key the apps are NOT closing? how do I know? which task killer do you guys suggest?

I am a bit concerned about overclocking. I overclock in WM no problem but even stock in android the phone runs awful HOT. I mean while downloading and installing apps last night while plugged in I got concerned enough that I removed the back to let the battery cool faster.

seems to get "hotter than it should" while charging. is this normal?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
No matter what we think of android the fact that you guy managed to get it to not only run but run usably on the Tp2 is AMAZING. great work.

what are suggested apps for over clocking the tp2 in android?

task killer? AHHH I wondered about that. SO when I hit the end or back key the apps are NOT closing? how do I know? which task killer do you guys suggest?

I am a bit concerned about overclocking. I overclock in WM no problem but even stock in android the phone runs awful HOT. I mean while downloading and installing apps last night while plugged in I got concerned enough that I removed the back to let the battery cool faster.

seems to get "hotter than it should" while charging. is this normal?
Well the way Android works is it hold frequently used apps in memory as best it can. The theory being, the most used apps will open quickly, less frequently used apps will open more slowly. The system itself is supposed to be very efficient at managing this underneath with no need for any task killers

With that said, I have at times had to kill an app because it was running out of control, causing issues with sleep, etc. Other than that, I haven't really noticed any issues. I do wonder if some of these memory-managing values could use some tweaking (I hear they're in init.rc). I still haven't looked into it, but I'm planning on it. Already am looking into disabling apps on startup - I went a little crazy and now Android boots to a black screen. I think I disabled something I shouldn't have .

As for the heat, it seems random to me. All I can recommend is make sure everything is up-to-date (kernel, rootfs) and don't run 15 apps at the same time. Multitasking on this phone is not really possible. It's certainly not a pleasant experience.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

nerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

yet how do you NOT multi task with no way to "close" an app? I have NOT noticed an appreciable "slow down" as I open more apps so it does seem the automated system "is" working. in WM as I open more apps you really notice the slowdown

the android starts off slower but does not "get" slower as usage goes up (at least so far)

I got ES explorer installing so I have a file explorer and a task manager as well.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
yet how do you NOT multi task with no way to "close" an app?
Well some apps stay open - for example if you're listening to music in Pandora. So if you have many apps that are the kind that stay open... that's how you multi task .

True, there is no direct way to easily close an app. But again, the whole point is you're not supposed to. The system handles when to actually close the application. Unless of course it's one of the apps that stay open like I mentioned above.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

I was about to say well thats dumb but then I remember well normally the device your using this OS on is "ABLE TO DEAL" with that (speed and ram) got to remember its running on a device never intended to run it and barely powerful enough to do so.

got to say some of the apps do AMAZING things. just had the ebay app pop a item ending warning. Sweetness. Very very nice feature. and the ebay app is spectacular.

Finally found a nice weather widget like the no clock one I use on cookie. its full screen variation is not so nice but I only want it for its widget so thats ok

and while some things are crazy slow (adding a shortcut to an app on the desktop) its MUCH faster the second time. So memory management and app management is very much superior in android.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2