PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 01:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 1/2, 6800, 6700, Palm 650, Moto Q, Krzr
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

robertkmagill is keeping up the good workrobertkmagill is keeping up the good workrobertkmagill is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: I may have found out why Andriod suks the living daylights out of the battery...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooxteme View Post
so what im gathering is in a sense the kernal is "tricking" the phone into having something pluged in that would be using that 5v output, which makes me wonder more about the usb transfer also not working? if it thinks there is something there then maybe its also keeping it from going into usb mode?
That may be true Goofy phone i tellsya
Old 08-13-2010, 02:11 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Us Cellular

menoats is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to menoats Send a message via Yahoo to menoats
Re: I may have found out why Andriod suks the living daylights out of the battery...

This is really interesting find I would love to see a video of this but first did you check to see that this isn't the case with other phones as well? If this is the source of the battery draining there should be a simple update fix no? Or maybe not since its through the kernal but still there should be an upgrade.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

robertkmagill is keeping up the good workrobertkmagill is keeping up the good workrobertkmagill is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by menoats View Post
This is really interesting find I would love to see a video of this but first did you check to see that this isn't the case with other phones as well? If this is the source of the battery draining there should be a simple update fix no? Or maybe not since its through the kernal but still there should be an upgrade.
Ya want a video? Okay! Gimmie some time to make one then
Old 08-13-2010, 02:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

coolsilver is keeping up the good workcoolsilver is keeping up the good work

Just a guess but is this due to the USB debugging option?
Old 08-13-2010, 06:52 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

jdpman is becoming a great contributor

Not to be too much of a devil's advocate but to continue on boredandtattooed's point...

How exactly does it not work like a light socket? I understand what you're saying that power could be sent to the USB because it thinks something is plugged in... but ultimately doesn't something need to be bridging the circuit for the power to be used? Isn't that Electricity 101? How does the electricity just magically disappear if it isn't actually being used?
Old 08-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: U.S. Cellular

sullivanmatt is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpman View Post
Not to be too much of a devil's advocate but to continue on boredandtattooed's point...

How exactly does it not work like a light socket? I understand what you're saying that power could be sent to the USB because it thinks something is plugged in... but ultimately doesn't something need to be bridging the circuit for the power to be used? Isn't that Electricity 101? How does the electricity just magically disappear if it isn't actually being used?
Because even if something isn't sucking down the power, the availability of that power itself means that power is getting used. For instance, your wall charger for your cell phone actually uses power, even when your phone isn't charging off of it (often termed "phantom power"). If the Rhodium is making 5v available, that means by electricity's very nature it's consuming some extra battery. Exactly how much that would be, I have no idea.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:28 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

mrrogers1 is keeping up the good workmrrogers1 is keeping up the good work
Lightbulb Re: I may have found out why Andriod suks the living daylights out of the battery...

Well hell.... I noticed something funky the other day and didn't think it meant anything to us BUT if any of you guys want to see what he is talking about, flip your phone to Android and put on the HTC supplied charger that has the back-lit "HTC" logo. Now unplug the charger (NOT THE PHONE) from the outlet and you will notice that the back light is still on.

Now, I usually can get 7-9hr out of a charge when I'm on Android so I'd say it's about as bad as our stock TP2's when we first got them. It could be better and I look forward to seeing if we can do anything about this OR if it really is the culprit.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrogers1 View Post
Well hell.... I noticed something funky the other day and didn't think it meant anything to us BUT if any of you guys want to see what he is talking about, flip your phone to Android and put on the HTC supplied charger that has the back-lit "HTC" logo. Now unplug the charger (NOT THE PHONE) from the outlet and you will notice that the back light is still on.

Now, I usually can get 7-9hr out of a charge when I'm on Android so I'd say it's about as bad as our stock TP2's when we first got them. It could be better and I look forward to seeing if we can do anything about this OR if it really is the culprit.
Wll that is axactly the same config as my touchstone mod...
Basically, The usb port is outputting 5v, Powering whatever
it is plugged into :P Hey!! Lets make the TP2 charge other phones!!
I can make a double-ended usb cord to charge an Iphone
Thems is jokes people!! I wouldnt polute the Windows Mobile
Genepool by mating my phone with an Ispud
Old 08-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Diamond

DKaine is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrogers1 View Post
I was about to post on this same point, glad I read through the thread first. I had a Diam500 that I tried booting to android a couple times. I had my phone plugged in and charging (or so i thought) but the phone didn't show that it was charging. Come to find out, the usb port was powering the charger, and my charger wasn't actually plugged in. I liked android on my Diamond, and now that I have a Rhodium, I'm really excited to get android working. I need more than 2h battery on a charge though!
Old 08-14-2010, 02:14 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkmagill View Post
But, For some reason, The usb port on the phone Will
output 5v during bootup for a second or two.
first did you make the video? cuz i mightve missed the link to see a more visual explination.. though im pretty sure i more than understand..

However, look at what i quoted out of your message.. Thats the correct info right?? this is what the threads about?

Is it odd that, it does that.. maybe.. do other elctronics do this sort of thing though?? dont most electronic devices boot all process when powering on.. almost like a systems check of sorts... isnt this sort of thing what Tegra Nevidia(or whatever its called) trying to change that?? ZERO power.. unless a spefici process is being called then only will power be increased.. have you seen the youtube videos?? like 30+ days without a charge on your cell phone, laptop, netbook whatever.. its ZERO power processors until the absolute last possible second of needing it.. link below.. but Nevidia Processors are the step PAST snapdragon and ATOM as youll see in the vid... maybe im over thinking.. but ill bet anything running These chips, doesnt power up everything on a boot because its against is design model.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWqlK...eature=related IE - its not gonna send temporary power to a usb port not in use

and Isnt just like all your Dashboard indicator lights turning on when you start your car up??? that LED behind your faceplate on your dash just gets power for those few seconds.. and thats it.. its not constantly pulling battery power.. maybe thats because fuses are involved though.. im not an electrician by any means.. so really, im just trying to understand things better..

Last thing i promise lol.. again referring to the part i quoted from your post... this is ONLY happening when you turn it on right?? I dont think ive EVER had to soft rset Xandroid on my device.. sure i might have to force close things and re-open them.. but ive never had to reboot android(soft rest it).. NEVER.if that was a common thing with Zandroid, id never use it then... so i mean how many times a day are you booting up android to you really think this has any effect on your device what so ever??

ok.. sorry its lengthy.. lol

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2