PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 08:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch pro 2
Carrier: uscc

dfgas is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Android running on US Cellular data service **Solved for most***

Cliffture post @ #86
Eval post @ #112 This whole post is a copy of eval's post. Thank you both and the people you worked with at getting this resolved. Please press thanks on their posts for their hard work.

STEP 1: find the right username@uscc.net for /etc/ppp/pap-secrets & options.smd1

Play around until you find your username. Usually it is your phone number, sometimes it can be your ESN or MEID number. Edit these files after dialing ##778 and pressing "View." If dude420420 is right, this should give you your account username. You might have to call USCC to find out.

pap-secrets needs to look like:
Code:
username@uscc.net * username
options.smd1 needs to have:
Code:
user username@uscc.net
as the last line. (leave all the others)

After changing these files, try Airplane On / Airplane Off to test. If it works, move to Step 2. If it doesn't, try to figure out why. Try a different username. If you can't find one that works, look up 'adb' & 'logcat' in the forums and online and look for lines with "pppd" in your logcat.

STEP 2: Copy /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/options.smd1 into /init.etc/ppp
You may have to do this "as root" in a terminal or console after typing "su" (hint; the "cp" command copies... "cp /etc/ppp/options.smd1 /init.etc/ppp" would work for the first file... same step for pap-secrets)

STEP 2 should allow those files to be created on boot. So once you have found the right settings, and managed to copy them into /init.etc/ppp you should be good to go from then on. Please reboot and confirm this for me since I am not on USCC and cannot test anything I suggest.

NOTE: /init.etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /init.etc/ppp/options.smd1 may not have the permissions necessary for you to be able to overwrite them. This is why you might have to go into a shell and type "su" and "chmod a+rw /init.etc/ppp/pap-secrets" and "chmod a+rw /init.etc/options.smd1" before you can copy over them, especially if you are using a GUI file explorer to copy, and not running everything as root (after "su") in the terminal shell.

GOOD LUCK! And don't forget to thank EVAL posts if you found them helpful

PS: /init.etc is "persistent" UNTIL YOU CHANGE YOUR ROOTFS. If you do, you will have to repeat these steps. So it is probably a good idea to keep a backup copy of your working pap-secrets and options.smd1 until this issue is fixed in the latest rootfs, so that in case it is not, you can overwrite the /init.etc files again easily. Hopefully a new rootfs will fix this problem altogether, but current reports are inconsistent that the RIL changes do.

Above is all from eval post

For people that know how to get around in teminal in linux this is what i used to exit the rootfs.img straight. After i edited it i put the micro sd card back in my phone and booted android and it worked perfect. This may help with anything else that you may need to edit or try to change
mount -o loop rootfs.img /mnt/android

Last edited by dfgas; 03-23-2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Added eval's post to first post. Thanks eval and clifftrue. you guys rock!
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2 and THE Moment. tp2_4sale
Carrier: THE NOW NETWORK

ps3evader is just getting started
Re: Android running on US Cellular data service

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfgas View Post
looking for a way to get data service to run for longer than 5 seconds. People say its nor going to work cause the way USCC is but they get it to work for 5 seconds. I have had mine load 75% of a page.r
man the progress is really cool.

Last edited by ps3evader; 03-14-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Noobsauce
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: USCC

CellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3evader View Post
man that the progress is really cool.
lol What?
how about, "superholyshitohmygodseriouslyyouguyslookatthis*** *ingmasterpieceivecreated"?
Old 03-09-2010, 11:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

lol, exactly
Old 03-09-2010, 11:39 AM
V.I.P
Pocket PC: 3VO for me, EVO for wife
Carrier: on the Now Network™ from Sprint®

00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

whew, thought it was just me.....
Old 03-09-2010, 11:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

lol, well i managed to break it to where it doesn't even work at all. i have been messing with the apn settings. anyone get mms working yet on USCC?
Old 03-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Noobsauce

CellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I've been on Android with USCC all day. Voice, SMS, Data and WIFI all working great. I did have issues on the first bott because I keep an inactive sim card in my phone and it was causing Android to bug out in airplane mode. My only real complaint is the sensitivity of the screen. I can handle the weird landscape stuff but the touch sensitivity is driving me nuts.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellGuy View Post
I've been on Android with USCC all day. Voice, SMS, Data and WIFI all working great. I did have issues on the first bott because I keep an inactive sim card in my phone and it was causing Android to bug out in airplane mode. My only real complaint is the sensitivity of the screen. I can handle the weird landscape stuff but the touch sensitivity is driving me nuts.
How is your data working, what did you do to get it working. I am on a touch pro 2 using mightyrom as my winmo rom but soon as i go into android it wont work.. soon as i get data working i may use android all the time even thogh there is no ringer
Old 03-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Noobsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfgas View Post
How is your data working, what did you do to get it working. I am on a touch pro 2 using mightyrom as my winmo rom but soon as i go into android it wont work.. soon as i get data working i may use android all the time even thogh there is no ringer
I did nothing to get it working other than boot up Android. And I have the same setup as you. MightyROM TP2 on USCC. Don't know what to tell you. From what I have read, it appears it works for some USCC people and not others. May have to do with towers in your area, idk.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6875

dude420420 is just getting started

located in madison, wi area and no cdma

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Tags
uscc data 3g cdma