PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch pro 2
Carrier: uscc
Threadstarter

dfgas is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Android running on US Cellular data service **Solved for most***

Quote:
Originally Posted by eval- View Post
Very cool! GScript Lite looks nice! Thanks for making it easier for people =)

So y'all know, the devs are working to fix this. If people could try using the username and password options in the APN (wireless & settings, mobile networks) menu (WITHOUT this fix), and reporting whether it works that would help. You can always still use this method, but please try the latest rootfs images from time to time to check whether they have fixed the issue. If it still doesn't work, consider dropping by #htc-linux on freenode to inform us. Also, it's important to know if it works when you set /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and options.smd1 manually (but not with GUI on new rootfs) for debugging. Thanks!
Mine didn't work until I put the the user phonenumber@uscc.net in the options.smd1
Working with the apn settings menu did nothing for me...Wonder if there is a way to get mms working
Old 03-25-2010, 12:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

eval- is keeping up the good workeval- is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytethegroove View Post
Which kernal are you using chrialex?

The kernal site is confusing to me, not sure which build I should I grab..

thanks
byte
if you want fixed double-tap bug (maybe this is a diamond-only prob?) i would download something newer than march 17th (i fixed it on the 14th but a clean patch by bzo didn't get merged until a bit later)

if you want stinebd's wifi tethering to work you should get newer than the 19th. in general, newer is better, unless it breaks something. then just try a slightly older one... you can see people vote positive/negative on:
http://glemsom.anapnea.net/android/htc-msm-android/

i tend to avoid the kernels with many negative votes =)

as for rootfs:
http://xdandroid.southcape.org/rootfs/

i almost always grab the latest and keep it unless something broke. a lot of good changes have been made recently, but there's still always the possibility some of these changes are bad for your device (even if they were good for a diamond or diamond2 or whatever). so, get an older one until it works again. (rootfs is something to try changing if you get lots of 3G disconnects, etc)

you only ever need to update zImage & modules (in case of kernel) or rootfs.img (in case of rootfs) so you can leave your system.sqsh, data.img, startup.txt, conf/ folder and all that alone. just back up your working zImage/modules/rootfs in a folder so you can always revert if needed.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftrue View Post
7. Install GScript Lite from Market. You can also download on your computer and save to AndroidApps folder then install when in Android.
http://gscript-android.googlecode.com/files/GScript.apk
8. Launch GScript Lite
9. Press the physical Windows button and select ‘Add script’
10. Press the ‘Load file’ button
11. Tap the usccfix.sh file listed
12. Press ‘Save’
13. Tap ‘usccfix’ from the list
14. After script runs, press the ‘Close’ button at bottom
15. Reboot and launch Android again
Here's a version of the script for GScript with some minor edits:
http://pastebin.com/b0qNfLa8

You still have to edit the "CHANGEME" lines for your settings. Also, this one will only work after reboot, but is permanent until you change your rootfs. Thanks clifftrue laying out the step-by-step instructions.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: US Cellular

clifftrue is becoming a PPCGeeks regularclifftrue is becoming a PPCGeeks regularclifftrue is becoming a PPCGeeks regularclifftrue is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
So y'all know, the devs are working to fix this. If people could try using the username and password options in the APN (wireless & settings, mobile networks) menu (WITHOUT this fix), and reporting whether it works that would help. You can always still use this method, but please try the latest rootfs images from time to time to check whether they have fixed the issue. If it still doesn't work, consider dropping by #htc-linux on freenode to inform us. Also, it's important to know if it works when you set /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and options.smd1 manually (but not with GUI on new rootfs) for debugging. Thanks!
I started up a fresh copy of Android and tried it with no changes, entered in the username and password in the APN settings. I did the airplane mode on then off and also a reboot. None of these worked for me with the new rootfs. I also did a test with the APN settings with only the options.smd1 changes and only with the pap-secrets changes both with no luck. The only way for me to get data yet is to apply changes to both files. I will test again when the next update comes out.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

clifftrue is becoming a PPCGeeks regularclifftrue is becoming a PPCGeeks regularclifftrue is becoming a PPCGeeks regularclifftrue is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Here's a version of the script for GScript with some minor edits:
http://pastebin.com/b0qNfLa8

You still have to edit the "CHANGEME" lines for your settings. Also, this one will only work after reboot, but is permanent until you change your rootfs. Thanks clifftrue laying out the step-by-step instructions.
Thanks given. I see the 'grep -v user ...' line must remove all lines that begin with user? Also I see that you are changing the files directly without changing and copying. Changes make sense. Thank you.

The reason eval- added the 'grep -v' line was due to the fact if you ran my script more than once it would keep adding to the end of the options.smd1 file and I was not sure what the outcome would be with multiple user lines.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch pro 2
Carrier: uscc
Threadstarter

dfgas is just getting started

Quote:
if you want fixed double-tap bug (maybe this is a diamond-only prob?) i would download something newer than march 17th (i fixed it on the 14th but a clean patch by bzo didn't get merged until a bit later)

if you want stinebd's wifi tethering to work you should get newer than the 19th. in general, newer is better, unless it breaks something. then just try a slightly older one... you can see people vote positive/negative on:
http://glemsom.anapnea.net/android/htc-msm-android/

i tend to avoid the kernels with many negative votes =)

as for rootfs:
http://xdandroid.southcape.org/rootfs/

i almost always grab the latest and keep it unless something broke. a lot of good changes have been made recently, but there's still always the possibility some of these changes are bad for your device (even if they were good for a diamond or diamond2 or whatever). so, get an older one until it works again. (rootfs is something to try changing if you get lots of 3G disconnects, etc)

you only ever need to update zImage & modules (in case of kernel) or rootfs.img (in case of rootfs) so you can leave your system.sqsh, data.img, startup.txt, conf/ folder and all that alone. just back up your working zImage/modules/rootfs in a folder so you can always revert if needed.
the rootfs files that are on there are they for gsm or cdma? i tried one and i couldn't use phone service. i just figured they were gsm only.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfgas View Post
the rootfs files that are on there are they for gsm or cdma? i tried one and i couldn't use phone service. i just figured they were gsm only.
Good question. It looks like there's a separate RIL for CDMA that MrPippy made, and prolly USCC people need it too. So we have to wait until MrPippy incorporates the latest fixes into his htcgeneric-ril.c ...

Sorry I pointed you all the to autobuilt rootfs, that's a mistake... =/
(I have a diam500, only now realizing what you rhod400/500 deal with...)
Old 03-25-2010, 05:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6875US Touch Pro 2
Carrier: USCC

skuddy is keeping up the good workskuddy is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfgas View Post
Cliffture post @ #86
Eval post @ #112 This whole post is a copy of eval's post. Thank you both and the people you worked with at getting this resolved. Please press thanks on their posts for their hard work.

STEP 1: find the right username@uscc.net for /etc/ppp/pap-secrets & options.smd1

Play around until you find your username. Usually it is your phone number, sometimes it can be your ESN or MEID number. Edit these files after dialing ##778 and pressing "View." If dude420420 is right, this should give you your account username. You might have to call USCC to find out.

pap-secrets needs to look like:
Code:
username@uscc.net * username
options.smd1 needs to have:
Code:
user username@uscc.net
as the last line. (leave all the others)

After changing these files, try Airplane On / Airplane Off to test. If it works, move to Step 2. If it doesn't, try to figure out why. Try a different username. If you can't find one that works, look up 'adb' & 'logcat' in the forums and online and look for lines with "pppd" in your logcat.

STEP 2: Copy /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/options.smd1 into /init.etc/ppp
You may have to do this "as root" in a terminal or console after typing "su" (hint; the "cp" command copies... "cp /etc/ppp/options.smd1 /init.etc/ppp" would work for the first file... same step for pap-secrets)

STEP 2 should allow those files to be created on boot. So once you have found the right settings, and managed to copy them into /init.etc/ppp you should be good to go from then on. Please reboot and confirm this for me since I am not on USCC and cannot test anything I suggest.

NOTE: /init.etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /init.etc/ppp/options.smd1 may not have the permissions necessary for you to be able to overwrite them. This is why you might have to go into a shell and type "su" and "chmod a+rw /init.etc/ppp/pap-secrets" and "chmod a+rw /init.etc/options.smd1" before you can copy over them, especially if you are using a GUI file explorer to copy, and not running everything as root (after "su") in the terminal shell.

GOOD LUCK! And don't forget to thank EVAL posts if you found them helpful

PS: /init.etc is "persistent" UNTIL YOU CHANGE YOUR ROOTFS. If you do, you will have to repeat these steps. So it is probably a good idea to keep a backup copy of your working pap-secrets and options.smd1 until this issue is fixed in the latest rootfs, so that in case it is not, you can overwrite the /init.etc files again easily. Hopefully a new rootfs will fix this problem altogether, but current reports are inconsistent that the RIL changes do.

Above is all from eval post

For people that know how to get around in teminal in linux this is what i used to exit the rootfs.img straight. After i edited it i put the micro sd card back in my phone and booted android and it worked perfect. This may help with anything else that you may need to edit or try to change
mount -o loop rootfs.img /mnt/android

its actually your MSID fyi.

MSID@USCC.net pw is MSID

Current Rom: MR.X 2.5 21903 + CHT 1.8.5
Old 03-25-2010, 05:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuddy View Post
its actually your MSID fyi.

MSID@USCC.net pw is MSID
Some people have used phone number, some people ESN, IMEI, some people other things. Are you saying MSID is set to these things and it's _always_ whatever the MSID is set to? (Be it your phone#, IMEI/ESN or whatever?) That would help USCC people know what to find out / ask for if it's always so consistent. Multiple people confirm this?

Like I said, I don't have USCC, I don't even have a TP2. Just a diam500 user on Sprint trying to help y'all out. Seems USCC is pretty varied in what they set the MSID, or alternately user/pass to for ppp auth.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro (CDMA)

chrialex is becoming a great contributor

I have a RAPH800 and using the default APN settings work for me with the rootfs from the 21st. No user/pass in it. Using the all-in-one package from my sig with updated zimage and rootfs. Before that it wouldn't work.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Tags
uscc data 3g cdma