PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2 > Android On TP2 Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [BUILD] **Complete GingerBread Bundle!!** GBX0A - Alpha!

This report is for arrrghhh, whom I know was really curious about Angry Birds performance.

I installed Angry Birds Lite, and interestingly the peak performance is better than any other build I've ever tried. At its smoothest, it feels almost as good as on an iPod.

Unfortunately, you don't get peak smoothness almost ever, and there is more stuttering and slow downs than in FRX04 and FroyoX. You can see the peak smoothness pretty clearly by loading the first level and only viewing the area where the birds are jumping around by the slingshot.

All the graphics that worked in Froyo still work in Gingerbread in Angry Birds Lite, and the graphics that didn't work like the ground still don't work, and presumably never will because apparently those require hardware we don't have.

Considering this is an alpha release, I'm pretty encouraged!

Edit:
Been playing more games, and I definitely wasn't imagining it. OpenTyrian increased from I would guess ~15fps in Froyo to probably ~30fps. Unlike Angry Birds, it maintains its framerate much better, and only occasionally dips, but when it dips it probably dips low, to around 5-8 fps. There is some graphical glitching here, but I'm not sure, I think that might have also been present in Froyo.

Excitingly, this is the first time that an NES emulator runs fast enough to render Super Mario Brothers in real time! It's actually playable, once you turn off audio which is stuttery and really slows down everything. Increase from too slow a fps to keep up in real time, to probably around 20fps.

Fps2D remains hardware locked at just short of 30fps.

Neocore gets 29fps, but as noted by arrrghhh all textured 3D objects aren't showing. I also got a kernel panic almost immediately after it finished, which is attached.

Astro SMB causes an immediate crash when you attempt to connect to an SMB share, whereas it worked perfectly in Froyo.

Edit2: Got another kernel panic while trying to start Neocore this time, as opposed to after it finished. Also attached that. I'm going to stop trying to run that now.

Last edited by manekineko; 02-13-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:07 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Threadstarter

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boominsvx View Post
Who should you be thanking that you haven't yet? Sorry buddy. Had to.
If you're referring to the very public spat I had with tiad8, that wasn't about thanking anyone. It was about asking for permission... Let's not drag it back up tho, thanks.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

2phonejones is keeping up the good work2phonejones is keeping up the good work

Thanks argggh
Old 02-13-2011, 10:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2 - RHOD400
Carrier: Sprint - SERO500

Counterfeit is keeping up the good workCounterfeit is keeping up the good work
Thanks for the heads up.

+

= <3
Old 02-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker

lemeiux1 is keeping up the good worklemeiux1 is keeping up the good worklemeiux1 is keeping up the good work

Hey thanks for this Arrrghhh. Other than what you had posted I am not really having any other issues, and for an alpha its pretty darn stable. One question though, I cant seem to overclock this build like the others I have on my sd card, has anyone successfully overclocked this build with the normal startup text method?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Boominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Boominsvx

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
If you're referring to the very public spat I had with tiad8, that wasn't about thanking anyone. It was about asking for permission... Let's not drag it back up tho, thanks.

Yea, and also reserving myself a post on the first page for future fixes/findings. Relax, you know we know the amount of information you retain to greatly help the developers with this project. Just playin. Over and done with. I'm gonna test this out and see how shes working while we wait for a testable NAND ...anything.

Edit: Here's one. If your download does not start automatically, just go to http://files.xdandroid.com/ and select the current GBX04 there. (Mine wouldn't start for whatever reason).

Last edited by Boominsvx; 02-13-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:19 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boominsvx View Post
Yea, and also reserving myself a post on the first page for future fixes/findings. Relax, you know we know the amount of information you retain to greatly help the developers with this project. Just playin. Over and done with. I'm gonna test this out and see how shes working while we wait for a testable NAND ...anything.

Edit: Here's one. If your download does not start automatically, just go to XDAndroid and select the current GBX04 there. (Mine wouldn't start for whatever reason).
No hard feelings bro. Link works fine for me tho, just tested it again...
Old 02-14-2011, 12:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Desire
Carrier: usc

stckmojo is keeping up the good workstckmojo is keeping up the good work

It seems to be pretty solid so far.

I can't wait until the motion sensors work... many of the games that crashed out during the install on prior builds are installing without an issue.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:10 AM
VIP Member

ndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
No hard feelings bro. Link works fine for me tho, just tested it again...
I had issue using the link in the first post yesterday also. I was able finally able to download by going straight to files.xandroid.com and selecting the file there.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndno View Post
I had issue using the link in the first post yesterday also. I was able finally able to download by going straight to files.xandroid.com and selecting the file there.
Weird. I wonder if stine was moving them. Can you test it again? Don't have to download it, just make sure the link works and offers you to dl something. I just tried it again, and it still works for me... Not sure what's up with that.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2 > Android On TP2 Development