PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2 > Android On TP2 Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Bustin' ours Saven' yours
Pocket PC: Touch Pro CDMA
Carrier: Sprint

ffkip911 is a VIPffkip911 is a VIPffkip911 is a VIPffkip911 is a VIPffkip911 is a VIPffkip911 is a VIPffkip911 is a VIPffkip911 is a VIPffkip911 is a VIPffkip911 is a VIPffkip911 is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [BUILD] **Complete GingerBread Bundle!!** GBX0A - Alpha! Camera!

clicked on "android" APN then back to sprint then to latitiude----no service. so back to network and deleted "android" SR--going to check if data holds
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:32 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: SGS III

fishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndno View Post
So far so good, a day without any reboots or SOD. Will let it run over the weekend and let you guys know. Yeah, this requires you to pick up some real "Linux" hacking skills. You'll have to install Ubuntu or some other Linux distro and use fdisk to repartition your SD card into the different partitions I was talking about. Nate showed my how to remap the cache directory to another EXT2 partition to allow the SD card to wear out more evenly.
Ok, that sounds too confusing, I'm sure you and arrrghhh would ban me with the amount of questions I'd be asking... I'll stick with GBX0A and FRX05 lmao
Old 03-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Threadstarter

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
So far so good, a day without any reboots or SOD. Will let it run over the weekend and let you guys know. Yeah, this requires you to pick up some real "Linux" hacking skills. You'll have to install Ubuntu or some other Linux distro and use fdisk to repartition your SD card into the different partitions I was talking about. Nate showed my how to remap the cache directory to another EXT2 partition to allow the SD card to wear out more evenly.
I don't know if putting this on a dedicated partition will resolve the SoD or reboot issue TBH - it certainly should be better overall compared to looped filesystems tho, I would imagine.

Also, I don't think this would require Linux - there's tools for Windows that allow you to partition the SD in all sorts of file systems. It's just easier with Linux because a) the tools are built into the system and b) Windows won't be able to read those newly created partitions anyways, without other 3rd party tools .

Not to take any wind out of your sails, but I wouldn't consider that Linux hacking skills . Certainly got some geek cred, and it's not easy to do without any prior knowledge - but far from what I would consider hacking . Neopeek builds have required this for quite some time... (a separate ext2 partition that is)

Quote:
It could be... I'm currently running at 710. The kernel is not constantly running at 710, it will throttle between the OC speed and the lower speed (122) depending on the processor's load, so it won't waste battery or overheat. I remembered arrrghhh saying that higher OC can cause instabilities so it definitely can be speed related. If you have bad data in your data.img, it can also be related to that too. That's why I'm switching to the EXT2 partition test I'm currently doing now to see if it's more reliable.
hyc said that running on dedicated partitions did localize his corruption - thus not having to blast out his data.img (or in this case partition) as frequently - that doesn't mean that it eliminated the issue.

In theory it should be a little quicker as well - it might not be significant enough to even be noticeable to the end user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingmedic View Post
Ok, that sounds too confusing, I'm sure you and arrrghhh would ban me with the amount of questions I'd be asking... I'll stick with GBX0A and FRX05 lmao
If there's some demand for it, ndno (or me) can certainly make a how-to do this. The rootfs is already configured to handle it, so AFAIK you just have to setup the partitions and drop the data in - I'm not really sure how much repointing is involved TBH.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:53 PM

ffkip911 is a VIPffkip911 is a VIPffkip911 is a VIPffkip911 is a VIPffkip911 is a VIPffkip911 is a VIPffkip911 is a VIPffkip911 is a VIPffkip911 is a VIPffkip911 is a VIPffkip911 is a VIP

voice to text no worky through google on gbx0a..works fine on frx05
Old 03-18-2011, 06:24 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

ndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
I don't know if putting this on a dedicated partition will resolve the SoD or reboot issue TBH - it certainly should be better overall compared to looped filesystems tho, I would imagine.

Also, I don't think this would require Linux - there's tools for Windows that allow you to partition the SD in all sorts of file systems. It's just easier with Linux because a) the tools are built into the system and b) Windows won't be able to read those newly created partitions anyways, without other 3rd party tools .

Not to take any wind out of your sails, but I wouldn't consider that Linux hacking skills . Certainly got some geek cred, and it's not easy to do without any prior knowledge - but far from what I would consider hacking . Neopeek builds have required this for quite some time... (a separate ext2 partition that is)

hyc said that running on dedicated partitions did localize his corruption - thus not having to blast out his data.img (or in this case partition) as frequently - that doesn't mean that it eliminated the issue.

In theory it should be a little quicker as well - it might not be significant enough to even be noticeable to the end user.

If there's some demand for it, ndno (or me) can certainly make a how-to do this. The rootfs is already configured to handle it, so AFAIK you just have to setup the partitions and drop the data in - I'm not really sure how much repointing is involved TBH.
Yeah, I didn't mean to say it will fix the restarts/SOD. Just thought it will may have better data integrity using a native ext2 partition than a data.img mounted on a FAT32 partition; I'm just speculating...

Yeah, it's not really "hacking" skills. I called it hacking because that's what I'm doing, hacking away at the scripts and stuff until it works.

arrrghhh, if you find a good Windows tool that can create Linux EXT2 partitions (EXT4 for GBX0A), let's us know. I didn't know such tools existed so that's why I said a Linux distro is required. I guess I should do some more googling; I just tend to like Linux more so I didn't bother searching.

I didn't realize that neopeek was already doing this; I have never used neopeek. So I guess neopeek is more complicated to set up than the haret builds we have here

Again, I'm just doing this as an experiment for learning purposes so unless there are a lot of PROs for switching to native EXT2 partitions on a SD card, people should just stick to the way haret builds are set up in this forum. Besides, the NAND project is very close (if not yet) to completing and it uses native EXT2 partitions on a faster NAND interface so people should wait for that
Old 03-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't mean to say it will fix the restarts/SOD. Just thought it will may have better data integrity using a native ext2 partition than a data.img mounted on a FAT32 partition; I'm just speculating...

Yeah, it's not really "hacking" skills. I called it hacking because that's what I'm doing, hacking away at the scripts and stuff until it works.

arrrghhh, if you find a good Windows tool that can create Linux EXT2 partitions (EXT4 for GBX0A), let's us know. I didn't know such tools existed so that's why I said a Linux distro is required. I guess I should do some more googling; I just tend to like Linux more so I didn't bother searching.

I didn't realize that neopeek was already doing this; I have never used neopeek. So I guess neopeek is more complicated to set up than the haret builds we have here

Again, I'm just doing this as an experiment for learning purposes so unless there are a lot of PROs for switching to native EXT2 partitions on a SD card, people should just stick to the way haret builds are set up in this forum. Besides, the NAND project is very close (if not yet) to completing and it uses native EXT2 partitions on a faster NAND interface so people should wait for that
Agreed on the NAND comments.

I would not agree with ext4 for GB - the reason being is journaled file systems should NOT be used on SD cards - unless you use a very specific type of mount, I believe the mount option is noatime. Either way, be very, VERY careful when using a journaled FS on a SD card - I would just avoid that altogether.

Neopeek builds are definitely harder to use, no question .

The tool I heard people were using was calling MiniPartitionTool or something to that effect...
Old 03-18-2011, 08:12 PM

removing "android" from APN does not fix data
Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffkip911 View Post
removing "android" from APN does not fix data
I've always just flipped data off/back on, and that's almost always worked... Odd it doesn't for the rest of you.

I don't know if this has been given the attention it deserves... but there's a lot of other stuff being hashed out lately.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:34 PM

I know GPS is no worky---but clicking on aloqa (pulls gps/wifi/cell for localized things to do) or clicking latitude causes freezing needing SR
Old 03-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffkip911 View Post
I know GPS is no worky---but clicking on aloqa (pulls gps/wifi/cell for localized things to do) or clicking latitude causes freezing needing SR
Just to be sure, you have both types of loc disabled as well - netloc thru wifi or cell towers and GPS?

I would think the app would still work, but perhaps not because of the piece it's asking for isn't available...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2 > Android On TP2 Development