PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Android On TP2 Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=319)
-   -   [BUILD] **Complete GingerBread Bundle!!** GBX0A - Alpha! Camera! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=140846)

manekineko 02-12-2011 11:36 PM

Re: [BUILD] **Complete GingerBread Bundle!!** GBX0A - Alpha!

2 Attachment(s)
This report is for arrrghhh, whom I know was really curious about Angry Birds performance.

I installed Angry Birds Lite, and interestingly the peak performance is better than any other build I've ever tried. At its smoothest, it feels almost as good as on an iPod.

Unfortunately, you don't get peak smoothness almost ever, and there is more stuttering and slow downs than in FRX04 and FroyoX. You can see the peak smoothness pretty clearly by loading the first level and only viewing the area where the birds are jumping around by the slingshot.

All the graphics that worked in Froyo still work in Gingerbread in Angry Birds Lite, and the graphics that didn't work like the ground still don't work, and presumably never will because apparently those require hardware we don't have.

Considering this is an alpha release, I'm pretty encouraged!

Edit:
Been playing more games, and I definitely wasn't imagining it. OpenTyrian increased from I would guess ~15fps in Froyo to probably ~30fps. Unlike Angry Birds, it maintains its framerate much better, and only occasionally dips, but when it dips it probably dips low, to around 5-8 fps. There is some graphical glitching here, but I'm not sure, I think that might have also been present in Froyo.

Excitingly, this is the first time that an NES emulator runs fast enough to render Super Mario Brothers in real time! It's actually playable, once you turn off audio which is stuttery and really slows down everything. Increase from too slow a fps to keep up in real time, to probably around 20fps.

Fps2D remains hardware locked at just short of 30fps.

Neocore gets 29fps, but as noted by arrrghhh all textured 3D objects aren't showing. I also got a kernel panic almost immediately after it finished, which is attached.

Astro SMB causes an immediate crash when you attempt to connect to an SMB share, whereas it worked perfectly in Froyo.

Edit2: Got another kernel panic while trying to start Neocore this time, as opposed to after it finished. Also attached that. I'm going to stop trying to run that now.

arrrghhh 02-13-2011 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boominsvx (Post 2055287)
Who should you be thanking that you haven't yet? Sorry buddy. Had to. :)

If you're referring to the very public spat I had with tiad8, that wasn't about thanking anyone. It was about asking for permission... Let's not drag it back up tho, thanks.

2phonejones 02-13-2011 01:13 AM

Thanks argggh

Counterfeit 02-13-2011 10:20 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

lemeiux1 02-13-2011 02:11 PM

Hey thanks for this Arrrghhh. Other than what you had posted I am not really having any other issues, and for an alpha its pretty darn stable. One question though, I cant seem to overclock this build like the others I have on my sd card, has anyone successfully overclocked this build with the normal startup text method?

Boominsvx 02-13-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 2055376)
If you're referring to the very public spat I had with tiad8, that wasn't about thanking anyone. It was about asking for permission... Let's not drag it back up tho, thanks.

Yea, and also reserving myself a post on the first page for future fixes/findings. Relax, you know we know the amount of information you retain to greatly help the developers with this project. Just playin. Over and done with. I'm gonna test this out and see how shes working while we wait for a testable NAND ...anything.

Edit: Here's one. If your download does not start automatically, just go to http://files.xdandroid.com/ and select the current GBX04 there. (Mine wouldn't start for whatever reason).

arrrghhh 02-13-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boominsvx (Post 2055702)
Yea, and also reserving myself a post on the first page for future fixes/findings. Relax, you know we know the amount of information you retain to greatly help the developers with this project. Just playin. Over and done with. I'm gonna test this out and see how shes working while we wait for a testable NAND ...anything.

Edit: Here's one. If your download does not start automatically, just go to XDAndroid and select the current GBX04 there. (Mine wouldn't start for whatever reason).

No hard feelings bro. Link works fine for me tho, just tested it again...

stckmojo 02-14-2011 12:13 AM

It seems to be pretty solid so far.

I can't wait until the motion sensors work... many of the games that crashed out during the install on prior builds are installing without an issue.

ndno 02-14-2011 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 2055781)
No hard feelings bro. Link works fine for me tho, just tested it again...

I had issue using the link in the first post yesterday also. I was able finally able to download by going straight to files.xandroid.com and selecting the file there.

arrrghhh 02-14-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndno (Post 2055852)
I had issue using the link in the first post yesterday also. I was able finally able to download by going straight to files.xandroid.com and selecting the file there.

Weird. I wonder if stine was moving them. Can you test it again? Don't have to download it, just make sure the link works and offers you to dl something. I just tried it again, and it still works for me... Not sure what's up with that.