PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Android Tablets (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=302)
-   -   New Bonsai ROM available for Samsung Tab 10.1 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=145137)

RandyT 06-28-2011 11:43 AM

New Bonsai ROM available for Samsung Tab 10.1

Wanted to let the PPCgeekers know about the first Bonsai ROM release for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

This release is an entry point for getting your tablet on a Bonsai managed OS configuration and install process. Our next order of business will be to make the rooting process dirt simple so that we can get broad adoption of the Bonsai goodness on this tablet.

The most noticable change in this ROM will be performance. There is already some great kernel development work being done by @pershoot and @supercurio. We've pulled those changes into Bonsai along with the tuning knowledge we have gained from working with the Epic and have a first release that has about doubled Quadrant scores (standard disclaimers on Quadrant apply). See quadrant screenshots in the Bonsai thread: Bonsai ROM available for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 | Bonsai for Android

Some of the features of this release include:
  • Android Kernel updated to v2.6.36.4
  • Overclockable kernel
  • Kernel module support for tun, cifs, aufs, ntfs, bluetooth mouse, xbox joystick
  • Voodoo Sound v9 (first release for Galaxy Tab 10.1)
  • init.d initialization script support
  • Ext4 filesystems can be configured without journaling enabled
  • New ROM packaging and install reduces package size by 20%

We'll be working over the coming weeks to produce a simple rooting/unlocking method so that anyone can take advantage of these releases.

BTW, you can follow us on Twitter @bonsaiGeek to get announcements of releases, etc

M2Iceman 07-01-2011 08:38 AM

Re: New Bonsai ROM available for Samsung Tab 10.1

Sweet, just got one and waiting for a little easier root!

RandyT 07-01-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2Iceman (Post 2123004)
Sweet, just got one and waiting for a little easier root!

The root process is not simple and will definitely be putting some time into this over next week.

FYI, I released a v0.1.2 yesterday that includes fully deodexed ROM.

Johnny.Bravo 07-03-2011 07:10 PM

WooHoo! You guys must be reading my mind. A few days ago my wife comes up to me and tells me that she wants an iPad2. I told her to give me a little time to do some research and I would let her know if that is the best tab to get. I found an extremely in-depth comparison style review of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 vs the iPad2 this morning.

Tablet deathmatch: Galaxy Tab 10.1 vs. iPad 2 | Mobile Technology - InfoWorld

After reading it I was convinced the the author is a big iPad fan and that every kudo he gave the Galaxy tab was done against his will. But he did identify a couple of issues that need to be fixed, such as the lack of a search function and the need for a better keyboard. I said to myself "the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is definitely the way to go, now all I need is the the devs to get on it and make it work like it should", and here you are!

I'll be heading to the store to get one in a couple of weeks. As soon as I do you can bet I'll be loading it up with some Bonsai goodness. Thanks guys!

RandyT 07-04-2011 12:42 PM

We'll look forward to having you as a user Johnny!

Just made the v0.1.3 release yesterday to tighten up the install process and give us a great base to start building on. Loving the tablet.

siptang1227 07-05-2011 04:19 PM

Hi Randy,

Been your epic roms for a while.
Was wondering if you will give support to the 7" version tab. Looks like it's getting no love.

RandyT 07-05-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siptang1227 (Post 2124363)
Hi Randy,

Been your epic roms for a while.
Was wondering if you will give support to the 7" version tab. Looks like it's getting no love.

If someone would buy us a 7" tablet, we would provide support. :-)

We're not getting any love for Samsung yet on getting development hardware. Once we get to point where we can get our hands on these devices more easily and cheaply, we would love to expand our coverage... Big hint going out to Samsung if they are reading...

siptang1227 07-05-2011 04:57 PM

haha, i got ya.
yea Samsung should definitely send out units to popular devs so that devs can better their products... sucks... bah.

Thanks for getting back to me any ways.

Please keep up the good work!