PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > Android Tablets

Notices

View Poll Results: Tablet/NC or Laptop?
Laptop 2 66.67%
Nook Color 0 0%
Galaxy Tab 0 0%
Ipad 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 04:35 PM
VIP MVP
Pocket PC: TP Dos/OG Epic/Touch
Carrier: Sprint

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tablet/Nook Color VS Laptop?

Can the Tablets or Even the nook color rooted with either froyo or gingerbread hold their own against a laptop?

Is it possible yet to replace your laptop with a tablet?
If so what would be my best option? and money wise as well

What i need is something light weight,youtube, wifi capable, Emails, Websurfing, video capable, Games (light games nothing crazy nothing heavy on graphics) and can open,edit office files

Old 05-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: Tablet/Nook Color VS Laptop?

Check this one out...

Maximum PC | Acer Iconia Tab A500 Pricing, Release Date, and Images

Just to get you started. And pay attention to the graphics stats.

p.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:09 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masetas View Post
Can the Tablets or Even the nook color rooted with either froyo or gingerbread hold their own against a laptop?
Not even close, no.
Quote:
Is it possible yet to replace your laptop with a tablet?
Not unless you don't do much of anything on your laptop. Or you have all the time in the world.
Quote:
If so what would be my best option? and money wise as well
Buy a $400 laptop that is 10 times more functional than any tablet you can buy from anyone today.
Quote:
What i need is something light weight,youtube, wifi capable, Emails, Websurfing, video capable, Games (light games nothing crazy nothing heavy on graphics) and can open,edit office files
Get a laptop under 5 lbs. Core i3 or better, 4gb ram or better, 320GB or better disk.

When you can afford to throw away $300-$500, get a tablet to use when you can't be bothered to boot your laptop.

But replace a laptop? No. Not even a netbook can do that. A Macbook Air or whatever clone ripoff with windows you can find - THAT can replace a laptop, but even then the cost for shedding those last couple pounds doesn't justify it. Unless you have money to burn, or your company is buying.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I agree with you bro... No way to replace it...
Which is why they are calling them the 5 screens.

PC
Laptop
Tablet
Phone
And eventualy Watch.

We will all have 5 screens. I can't live without my phone... But I can't do on my phone what I do on my netbook... And my PC cannot go to starbucks with me to do homework and last 11 hours on a single charge. And neither can a laptop... You need to take the power cord and a bigger backpack and so on and so forth... So each screen has it's own place.

But like you say... The tab is the last one we need. The family may benefit from having one on the coffee table at all times but more like a toy or a big phone that doesn't make calls.

Convenience mostly... But cool convenience.

I have 3 of the 5 My wife has the nook but it's not mine so I won't count it.
I can't wait to get good android powered watch.
p.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:55 PM
VIP MVP
Threadstarter

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff

what do you guys think of anyone of these could this replace the old stocky laptop since they are pretty much a laptop/tablet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v3CFBsrnTE

going to look at those a little bit more to find out specs and $cost
Old 05-16-2011, 09:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

chardog is keeping up the good workchardog is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Not even close, no.

Not unless you don't do much of anything on your laptop. Or you have all the time in the world.

Buy a $400 laptop that is 10 times more functional than any tablet you can buy from anyone today.

Get a laptop under 5 lbs. Core i3 or better, 4gb ram or better, 320GB or better disk.

When you can afford to throw away $300-$500, get a tablet to use when you can't be bothered to boot your laptop.

But replace a laptop? No. Not even a netbook can do that. A Macbook Air or whatever clone ripoff with windows you can find - THAT can replace a laptop, but even then the cost for shedding those last couple pounds doesn't justify it. Unless you have money to burn, or your company is buying.
a tablet can definitely hold it's own against a laptop/netbook, but definitely NOT a replacement. If you have one desktop/laptop at home, the tablet is an accessory, rather than another laptop. I take my nook around and I've been astounded by it's functionality.

- Email/contacts/calenders
- web browsing
- web videos
- light gaming
- view/edit docs
- sync files to main desktop

those are pretty basic, but here's where the tablet shines

- ultra portability, carry and read sites with one hand, fits in a big back pocket or backpack without lugging around a charger. When I bring this to a starbucks, mcdonalds, or wherever, I dont worry about it running out of juice or look for outlets.
- instant startup
- easily start up a fileserver for sharing stuff
- ultra battery life

I still have my i7 laptop for the times I need to develop pictures or edit videos, but I never lug that thing around, unless it's for work.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:26 PM
VIP MVP
Threadstarter

[QUOTE=chardog;2101860]
- Email/contacts/calenders
- web browsing
- web videos
- light gaming
- view/edit docs
- sync files to main desktop. [QUOTE]

Thats pretty much all i need it to do when im on the road

Quote:
I still have my i7 laptop for the times I need to develop pictures or edit videos, but I never lug that thing around, unless it's for work.
So you pretty much just have the laptop for when you need to develop pix's or videos
Old 05-19-2011, 12:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by masetas View Post

So you pretty much just have the laptop for when you need to develop pix's or videos
Well, I also do software development on my laptop, so it's not completely useless or one dimensional.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:09 AM
VIP MVP
Threadstarter

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; SPH-D700 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Got it , I'm still thinking of which tablet to get but I think I'm going to wait for the holidays (maybe ill get one as a gift..lol) to see what comes out. Laptop is great for work but the tablet is more easy to carry and does what I need to do when I'm out of the office
Old 05-22-2011, 10:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

I would like to add a few more pros of a tablet.

The camera. Really convenient having one to take picture and post ads. Dropbox is an alternative but still requires two devices.

The GPS. You can get navigon, which is pretty good, with offline maps... no need for data.

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > Android Tablets