PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > Android Tablets
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 01:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, EVO
Carrier: Sprint

CtDMonet is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question What to Buy?

Many moons ago, I was buying my wife a present, and looked at (then 16GB, I think) hard-disk iPod, and opted to buy a Creative Labs Zen Jukebox (32GB) for ~$100 less.

What did I get? A great playing mp3 player that had absolutely no accessories ever available for it. Not so much as a cover or speaker set made for the unit that was not a universal piece of crap.

I did the same thing when I bought her a Palm Pre. I was a WM guy, and she wanted something easy to use. I think there are still only 3 things (slight exaggeration) in the pre-market. Phone works great, but the market never followed, so neither did the developers or accessories.

I am having the same dilemma as to whether to buy the wife an iPad. My original instinct said - "buy a color nook, root the sob, and you go in saving $150" -- or even do the same with a viewsonic gtab (I have heard the 7" is much better for e-books, but the 10" is better if you want to do anything else).

I really don't want to get caught in a bad tech curve. As this is an android forum -- can anyone give me a reason NOT to buy an iPad other than being a cheap bastage, and rebellion from the man?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Wiredengineer
Pocket PC: EVO 3D/Acer Iconia Tab!

PropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: What to Buy?

I feel your pain and have the same intuitions. My wife is an avid reader so an LCD screen was out of the picture (eye strain) so I went with an eink reader (sony) but it doesnt do anything else (she is ok with that). I owned the viewsonic and the price point is right on but the viewing angles on the screen where awful - i would not recogmend it. Now I have a acer iconia tablet which my wife seems to really like but her comment was it was too big and she would want something she can fit in her purse but she kind of liked the 7" tablet we saw at best buy. Will the IPAD fit in a purse? Android can be frustrating for some if your wife is a little tecky I think a 7" android tab would be ok. She did ok with windows mobile right. Otherwise the ipad would probably be the best (I personally despise apple but thats nether here nor there.) Good luck!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 02:29 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtDMonet View Post
I really don't want to get caught in a bad tech curve. As this is an android forum -- can anyone give me a reason NOT to buy an iPad other than being a cheap bastage, and rebellion from the man?
Ok, prepare for wailing and gnashing...

Buy your wife an iPad2. Hand it to her. Rejoice as she disappears into it, and it becomes more precious to her than life itself.

Then get yourself any android tablet that is rootable, and have a blast with it.

You won't regret either action.

(for me, the $280 price for the gtab was perfect for a "kick it to death" android tablet. And yes the wife loves her 32GB ipad2. Which I NEVER have to deal with.)
Old 05-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Not to mention... It all depends on what you want...

I wouldn't be caught in public touching an iPad... But I have peered over the partition at Best Buy while checking out the Xoom... The iPad and the iPad 2 look to be awesome devices. They do mostly everything and they are sexy. There are tons of accessories for them and have a great screen.
Still... My homophobia repulses it to the point of physical illness.
I would buy one for my wife.
The nook color is what I got her and what she loves... She got an EVO shift and also loves it. LCD on the nook has not been an issue with eye strain... That's just something the people from kindle were saying at first... But now Amazon is coming out with a color tablet reader as well...

schettj said it best... buy her the iPad and get yourself a toy.
p.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:21 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

IF you want to attempt to give her an Android Tablet..either find a place that you can play with it before you buy..or a costco where you can return it hassle free....

But if you want easy way..get her an ipad and then get yourself some quad-core tablet love this summer:

ASUS planning quad-core Tegra 3 tablet, yet another Intel slate -- Engadget

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > Android Tablets