PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > Android Tablets

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 12:57 PM
VIP MVP
Pocket PC: TP Dos/OG Epic/Touch
Carrier: Sprint

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Official?

new to the NOOK stuff and after looking for more info on it i see that hackers/developers were able to load android on this which is awesome but the nook color originaly came out of Barnes & noble as a E-reader and now im reading stuff that say Official Froyo and that 2.3 is in the works so what happen did Barnes & Noble find out that no one really was using it as a e-reader and everyone was loading Android on it then they decided to get with Android and push out an official Android edition for it?

Old 05-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: Official?

In a word... KINDA.

I got my wife a nook color for Christmas... She loves it as a reader and is just happy with it having some added features like Pandora and a browser.

B&N just released the update... I updated my wife's nook manually as I couldn't wait for the push update to take place...

It's far from being a tablet still... It has access to a limited market. There are only 140 B&N approved apps. And it got flash and a couple of other minor updates.

She still loves it and is now super happy with the fact that she can play Angry birds on it and read the news via Pulse.

Still an E-reader but now it has some additional functionality.
p.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:46 PM
VIP MVP
Threadstarter

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff

What do you mean its far from being a tablet still? what is it missing ?
Old 05-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level

Well... If you root it... You get FULL access to the Android market and you can load roms and such...

But the look and feel of the nook remains that of a reader... It just has some apps that it can run... Nook is not just an app like it is in my EVO... Nook is what it is... But it runs some apps.
I guess that's what I mean... That although B&N gave it some tablet functionality... It didn't loose it's e reader personality.

You still can't add widgets and stuff like that... And you have the option of BUYING like one clock. The apps available are geared towards kids and reading... There's a redipe book and kids books and drawing tablets and stuff like that.

It's definitely "the mom's tablet" not a galaxy or flyer or anything like that.
p.
'
Old 05-05-2011, 02:48 PM
VIP MVP
Threadstarter

Isnt there a Honeycomb port wouldnt you be able to add widgets on it

also then its mostly for web browsing, youtube, emails, then

can i run the thinkfree office app on it?

btw Happy Cinco De Mayo ccas ion5:
Old 05-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

Gracias Hermano...
Feliz Cinco.

Yeah... You can do alot... But If you Root it... You may loose some of the READER features. If it's yours... No biggie... You know what you want... I know I would have rooted it a long time ago... But my wife is an avid reader and she likes it the way it is. And she loves the added features offered by B&N.

Viva Mexico Cabrones!!!
p.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:56 PM
VIP MVP
Threadstarter

But doesnt B&N have a android app and amazon as well and android has one to?
Do you mean you couldnt read a book like it was intended on the NC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTECHKA View Post
Gracias Hermano...
Feliz Cinco.

Viva Mexico Cabrones!!!
p.
+1millon
estamos al 100
Y al que no le guste lla sabe!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

Yeah... but actually... I'm not sure what abilities you would lose on it if you rooted it and then ran the nook app... Coz rooted his nook and is running honeycomb...

For the price 250 it's a good starter tab... But honestly... I would rather save a couple hundred more and get the new 10" asus that they started carrying at Best Buy... My phone is 4.3" and for the difference between that and the nook's 7" I don't think it's worth 250 but to go to 10" I would pay the extra... It feels natural and looks great. Plus 450 is the price of a galaxy tab also 7".

Then you don't have to mess with rooting and all that. It already comes with honeycomb.

I guess I'm just lasy.

***Yo soy de Ensenada... Puro cachanilla... De donde eres tu?
Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 PM
VIP MVP
Threadstarter

OK , i was trying to see if i could get that and save a few bucks since it seems it does what i need it to do and i dont want to carry a laptop with me when im traveling and have to do work but i just heard that some duo or quad cores tablets are going to come out by end year which maybe i can wait for

***Soy de Michoacan
Old 05-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

Yeah... did you see the shortcut I put up in your other thread?
The nook will get you all the basics... But a physical keyboard is always nice... Currently... I use a netbook at home I picked it up for 350 at Best Buy... My PC took a dump and I haven't used it in almost a year. Then I use my phone... The nook is my wife's but she's a bigtime reader and I'm not...

250 is a good place to start and see if it's what you need... You can always sell it for 200 if you find it's not what you needed. They have a big following. My brother in law sold his original nook the 160 dollar one for 100 bucks.

Get the nook... root it... and you'll have access to ALL the apps on the market... Short of those that require fancy video graphics.

I'm saving up for the Asus.
p.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > Android Tablets