PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > Android Tablets

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6900
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Mycle78 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Archos 5 Internet Tablet 500 Gig android device!

Hoping to get this for Xmas. I have been putting off switching away from windows, but with this I can keep my current phone and ditch my MP3 player.

ARCHOS

Dual OS?

ARCHOS

So any chance of Windows 6.5 on it? I haven't made the android plunge yet.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Archos 5 Internet Tablet 500 Gig android device!

so it's Android/Linux, pretty cool

If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change ~Michael Jackson
Old 12-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Mycle78 is a n00b

I don't know if I'm posting these questions in the right place or not, let me know where to post if not. So, I've never had a data plan. Don't care to have one. I have a windows XP machine with access in my work van, and I don't go too many places when I'm not working.

So how do all these internet apps work on a device that's not connected all the time, i.e. desktop weather? Will the weather update when the device gets access? Will it not tell me anything when it's not connected? Or can I just not use that app? Any other comments/suggestions on this device?
Old 12-19-2010, 12:51 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycle78 View Post
I don't know if I'm posting these questions in the right place or not, let me know where to post if not. So, I've never had a data plan. Don't care to have one. I have a windows XP machine with access in my work van, and I don't go too many places when I'm not working.

So how do all these internet apps work on a device that's not connected all the time, i.e. desktop weather? Will the weather update when the device gets access? Will it not tell me anything when it's not connected? Or can I just not use that app? Any other comments/suggestions on this device?
This is definitely the right section for Android Tablets and Questions...

out of curiosity, how do you have Internet access on-the-go on said XP Machine???

Apps that rely on Internet, will do nothing when theres no data... How could it do anything but sit... Its no different than a PC/Laptop.. i have weather gadet on my home screen on WIN7(PC not mobile), if im not tethering, obviously its not gonna update... when I connect again, i can wait till it refreshes on it own(on its cycle - every hr) or i can manually refresh it right away... its upto me..

It looks like an alright device.. I dont really see the point of "mini-tablets" but to each their own-right? I did like the DVR dock feature.. In that you can connect the DVR Dock and download shows right into the Device, then take it and go.. kind of neat..

so how Are you planning on getting Internet to this device then?

**EDIT** and No, its not gonna run Any version of winMO... the dual OS is to boot it as Linux Desktop..

**EDIT2** and this is why we look at the Specs on devices:
ANDROID 1.6
800mhz processor
256MB RAM

who needs 500GB - and for $450.. buy the 8GB for 199 and get a 32GB SD card...

theres lots of better options and for the same price points or cheaper

Last edited by boredandtattooed; 12-19-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Mycle78 is a n00b

Want the 500 Gig to replace my MP3 player. The device will have internet via wifi when at home, or wherever there is wifi. Don't really need internet. I have had windows mobile for years without internet. Great for portable games, mainly emulators, GPS, and various utility software. I have a great electronic circuit calculator. Also use MS office a lot. I'm hoping there is something that can open and edit excel and word files for android, but if not, I'll just deal with it. As far as a pocket android device, I just want a modern pocket PC without the mandatory data plan.

My work van has a Tablet running Win XP tablet edition that sits in a dock with a keyboard, power supply, gps, and usb hub, and the tablet itself has an internal verizon air card. I don't pay the bill on that one. Unfortunately, I also can't install whatever software I want on it either. The GPS sucks, and I usually use my own when it can't find something or runs me into a dead end.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Mycle78 is a n00b

Got the Device. I Like it so far. It's definately bigger than a phone, but can still fit in my pocket. Definitely can't forget it's in your pocket though. The only thing so far that really sucks is no multi touch. No prob for the emulators, as i'm using a wii remote and ordering a classic controller. Love the kickstand. looked flimsy in the video, but it's actually heavy gauge steel. It has better sound quality than my 80 Gig Zune. Definitely selling that soon. I found a hack to take it to Froyo, but so far I'm doing fine with the 1.6 donut. Should I go to Froyo? Still new to Android. Can't figure out why apps (particularly settings and marketplace) won't stay closed. Diggin the amount of free software, but already getting sick of ads.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:12 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycle78 View Post
Got the Device. I Like it so far. It's definately bigger than a phone, but can still fit in my pocket. Definitely can't forget it's in your pocket though. The only thing so far that really sucks is no multi touch. No prob for the emulators, as i'm using a wii remote and ordering a classic controller. Love the kickstand. looked flimsy in the video, but it's actually heavy gauge steel. It has better sound quality than my 80 Gig Zune. Definitely selling that soon. I found a hack to take it to Froyo, but so far I'm doing fine with the 1.6 donut. Should I go to Froyo? Still new to Android. Can't figure out why apps (particularly settings and marketplace) won't stay closed. Diggin the amount of free software, but already getting sick of ads.
Might as well take it to FROYO, then you can hack Flash on to it for your browser.. yes Ads sucks! Apps open in the backround to check for updates, transfer data, etc... as for apps staying open, theres alot of write ups about Task Killers and why or why not to use them..
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > Android Tablets