PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > Android Tablets

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 12:35 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nook Color getting Android 2.2 and Market in January, etc...

Nook Color getting Android 2.2 and Market in January, current hacks could make it blow up -- Engadget

You had to know the hacking community was going to have a field day with the Nook Color -- a $249 Android Tablet hiding behind with a thin e-reader coating. Indeed it didn't take long to get rooted nor for Android 2.2 to get installed on there, but that particular hack comes with an interesting potential side-effect: small-scale thermonuclear explosions. Enabling FroYo requires disabling the device's battery monitoring process, the very one that would be responsible for shutting down the device before the cells start overheating and, ultimately, going critical. Yeah it's unlikely, but it could happen. Meanwhile, another hack has enabled the Android Market, but those instructions begin with a very daunting warning: "Very smart people have failed at this. If the following instructions confuse you, you might want to wait until an easier method has been developed."

And, thankfully, there is a much easier way coming, with Barnes & Noble confirming that Android 2.2 will be officially coming to the Nook Color in January. Yes, Android 2.3 is what's happening, but this is still an exciting upgrade as it will finally also allow access to a traditional Android home screen and even enable the Android Market. In other words, it should work just like an Android tablet, Kindle app and all.

[Thanks, Ryan]
Smartphone Magazine, nookDevs, PC World
Old 01-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: Nook Color getting Android 2.2 and Market in January, etc...

Any updates on this topic?
Like... When in January?
Who will put out the update?
How will users be notified?
etc...
p.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

kb112 is a n00b
Re: Nook Color getting Android 2.2 and Market in January, etc...

That's awesome news. I was considering one of these the other day. Keep an eye on Craigslist for these badboys now that Christmas is over. I saw one for $175 but when I emailed him, he had already sold it.

Last edited by kb112; 01-03-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:17 PM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I rooted my wifes NC and it runs like an android tablet now on 2.1. Using Launcher Pro home screen. Kindle app works fine as well as market and all other apps I've tried!

Will be looking forward to flash on 2.2 though! Will probably have to unroot to get the official 2.2?

Sent from an Epic 3G on SERO
Old 01-10-2011, 09:03 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Mogul to TP to TP2 to EVO 4G to EVO 3D!
Carrier: Sprint

iggyclyde is becoming a great contributor
Loving my Nook "tablet" after rooting it. Can't wait to see what's in store after the 2.2 update....

Sent from my EVO, not your iphone!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > Android Tablets