PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Android Tablets (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=302)
-   -   [HOW TO] Gain Root on Samsung Galaxy Tablet (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=137196)

rainfreak 11-18-2010 05:47 PM

[HOW TO] Gain Root on Samsung Galaxy Tablet

1 Attachment(s)
http://rainfreak.com/images/other/sg...y-tab-root.jpg

Rooting your Samsung Galaxy Tablet (SGT) is now both simple and pain free, as evidenced by the picture above. To gain permanent root on your cool new SGT, just follow the directions below:

• Download and install Z4Root from the Market (QR Code below)
  • Enable USB debugging
    • Settings > Applications > Development
  • Run the app, and press the "root" button

Within a few moments your SGT will reboot and when it comes back up, it is fully rooted. You will also notice after the reboot that Superuser and Busybox have both been installed. This root method will remain even after reboots, so it is indeed permanent.

If you need to "unroot" for any reason, simply open the z4root app, click "unroot" and after a quick reboot, you can uninstall the app and be back to stock again.

Download z4root below (attached)!

Re: [HOW TO] Gain Root on Samsung Galaxy Tablet

Q: What about NAND access for backups and restore?

A: This is not available yet, but there are several developers currently working on it. Be patient, it is coming!

Q: What about booting to recovery?

A: This is not available yet, but it is getting close. You can follow the progress here.

Q: This z4root app is too easy! What other devices does z4root work with?

A: The following devices have been tested successfully:
  • Samsung Galaxy S (All variants)
  • Backflip
  • Sony X10
  • Xperia Mini
  • Droid 2
  • Galaxy Tab
  • Galaxy I5700
  • Galaxy 3 I5800
  • Droid X
  • Samsung Acclaim
  • Cricket Huawei Ascend
  • Motorola Cliq
  • Huawei 8120
  • Hero
  • G1
  • Optimus T
  • Droid 1
  • Garmin Asus A50
  • Motorola Defy
  • LG Ally
  • Motorola Flipside
  • Motorola Milestone 2
  • Dell streak
  • X10 Mini Pro

Also reserved

arsmithsr 11-22-2010 04:40 PM

download zd4root from market install set usb debugging on under settings application development, run zd4root enjoy rooted goodness.

rainfreak 11-24-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arsmithsr (Post 2000829)
download zd4root from market install set usb debugging on under settings application development, run zd4root enjoy rooted goodness.

Yes, down and dirty, that is the easiest way to do it. I just thought a little more information and some links would be helpful as well.

pirish 12-03-2010 10:39 AM

Rainfreak,

Does this method also work on the Sprint version of the TAB?

boredandtattooed 12-04-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pirish (Post 2006554)
Rainfreak,

z4 works for ALL variants of the TAB... and about 20 handsets as well....

rainfreak 12-07-2010 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pirish (Post 2006554)
Rainfreak,

Yes, I used this on my Sprint Galaxy Tab.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 2007313)
z4 works for ALL variants of the TAB... and about 20 handsets as well....

Very true indeed, as indicated in my second post in this thread listing all the devices :)

OR78 12-08-2010 09:52 PM

Curious question. Since this app was on the market, how will this work once the OS is updated. I would assume root is lost and this app would have to be updated in order to root the newer version of the OS. Correct?

rainfreak 12-09-2010 02:14 AM

I would assume that you are correct. However it is a very popular method of root for a pretty large number of devices, so I would expect it to be updated pretty fast.

Here is the thread at XDA for it, if you want to check for updates as new versions come out:

[APP] z4root - xda-developers

helirob 12-29-2010 01:04 PM

Hmm... can't find it in the market. Even tried the QR barcode. Market says there are no matches for pname:com.z4mod.z4root. Is it still available?

rainfreak 01-04-2011 02:09 PM

I'll post the version that I have on my Tab when I get home tonight.

ajac 03-01-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainfreak (Post 2029728)
I'll post the version that I have on my Tab when I get home tonight.

guess he forgot to post it lol

cynteeuh 03-23-2011 01:54 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the advantage(s) of root? ~thanks

rainfreak 03-24-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajac (Post 2063316)
guess he forgot to post it lol

Wow, I guess I did lol. It is now attached to the first post.

rainfreak 03-24-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cynteeuh (Post 2072671)
Forgive my ignorance, but what's the advantage(s) of root? ~thanks

Root will allow you a number of things:
  • Access to the locked system files
  • Ability to remove stock apps
  • Use of memory optimizers to better battery life
And there's a lot more that you can do with root access, which is why I always root all of my Android devices.

krnfrk6663 04-08-2011 05:51 PM

Any alternative ways of rooting? I tried this and it's failing, installed busybox though fine, cause I checked it with a root checker, but I can't find it in programs list or anything.. Anyone have any advice? I've looked into a few other things to do with Kies and aren't too sure on those. I don't know exactly which one I should be using, or how it would effect my tab. I just want to root right now, I don't want to flash anything with it.

Feral Urchin 05-15-2011 11:34 PM

Z4Root 1.3 fails on my Verizon Galaxy Tab running Froyo and purchased in late March 2011. As far as I can tell, the last time a GT was successfully rooted by anyone using any rooting app including SuperOneClick was sometime in February (?). I'm wondering if the exploit(s) has/have been plugged?

Has anyone successfully rooted a GT lately?

xanctus 05-26-2011 06:16 AM

No, I have been unsuccessful with rooting.
Not just rooting and unrooting, but I have been having many technical difficulties with my Tab.

I have downloaded the file that was provided by rainfreak into my computer. So, my plan was trying to connect my Tab through USB and guess what? it says cannot install this MTP device. Drive me crazy really...

shaun0207 05-26-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feral Urchin (Post 2101763)
Z4Root 1.3 fails on my Verizon Galaxy Tab running Froyo and purchased in late March 2011. As far as I can tell, the last time a GT was successfully rooted by anyone using any rooting app including SuperOneClick was sometime in February (?). I'm wondering if the exploit(s) has/have been plugged?

Has anyone successfully rooted a GT lately?

I just got two Sprint tabs and I cant either of them rooted using Z4 or Superoneclick. Everytime I use Z4, it never completes. I cant get my computer to recognize my tab as even a storage device.

jimsetele 06-05-2011 10:02 PM

how about at@t? z4 doesn't exist in marketplace for that program?
I have read a lot of solutions concerning loading things from the PC.
Is there a method I can use to get z4 on my galaxy from the link you provided and not have it load from marketplace?

erroneus 06-06-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaun0207 (Post 2106995)
I just got two Sprint tabs and I cant either of them rooted using Z4 or Superoneclick. Everytime I use Z4, it never completes. I cant get my computer to recognize my tab as even a storage device.

I am quite interested in your progress on the matter. I too have a Sprint Galaxy Tab. I am not a Sprint customer and got this refurb through Woot.com. I would like to root this and remove the Sprint activation nonsense and just use this as wifi only.

I have not yet tried SuperOneClick and since it doesn't work for you, I am hesitant to even try it.

Well, I decided to take the plunge anyway. Pulled out my old WinXP machine (I don't use Windows that much) and updated it, downloaded the software (Kies, dotnetfx, SuperOneTouch) did the install, then ran it. It all went surprisingly well. I'm rooted now. Now I can install adfree and play giant angry birds without ads.

latinlover515 06-26-2011 10:25 AM

pleae i need help on rooting a sprint samsung sph p100. the software base version is

firmware 2.2.1
baseband EB28
build number sph p100 EB28

i had look just about everywhere with no luck. ths closet i found was super onl clic but it was from novemver i think . so i tought that it was too old so i didnt dare to try it bcuz i didnt know if that will kill or brick my tab. so i rather get the right version for this tab. since i reed that using te wrong root could brick the tab.. any help please please let me know thanks in advance..

googleplus 09-18-2011 06:03 PM

Z4 no longer works on most devices. I have seen a version.1.3.1 advertised but never actually saw it upgraded from 1.3.0.

darren.wlsn1 09-18-2011 07:27 PM

How To Root Samsung Galaxy Tab With SuperOneClick Rooting App

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaxwpPthw_Q

Android-Obsesive 10-16-2011 03:16 PM

thank you so much, this is possibly the most help someones given me on my new tablet. Thanks