PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Apps & Games
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you use Advanced Task Killer on your Epic
Yes 16 43.24%
No 12 32.43%
I did, but I uninstalled it...didn't like it or need it 9 24.32%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn
Re: Advanced Task Killer...yay or nay?

I voted yay.

I don't trust android to "manage" my memory. I'd rather have it use memory when I open an app. So I close apps that I never opened and the ones I did open.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

muyoso is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmuyoso is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmuyoso is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmuyoso is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Can you set ATK to replace the stock task killer, so that when you hold the home button and then hit "task manager" or whatever button it is in the box that pops up, ATK would open?
Old 10-06-2010, 07:30 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

after reading this its gone.
Android Task Killers are Dead
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

revaaron is keeping up the good workrevaaron is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
after reading this its gone.
Android Task Killers are Dead
that specifically talks about the changes with froyo...
Old 10-06-2010, 11:11 AM
acs tester

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by revaaron View Post
that specifically talks about the changes with froyo...
"But starting in Android 2.0, memory management got much, much better. Apps couldn't spawn processes only to leave them forever. The OS would gauge the level of system RAM, and close unneeded background services. Users on phones like the Droid could clearly tell that this was happening. With only 256MB of RAM, some memory-heavy apps would reliably cause the OS to close other apps running in the background. This is why many apps now use persistent notifications. Having that notification running will keep a background process it is connected to from being ended"

part im after, i see froyo part too.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Threadstarter

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Ok, I went ahead and uninstalled ATK. While I think it was doing a fine job, I just didn't think that it was doing the right job. It seemed to drain just a bit more of my battery and at this point I think I'd rather monitor the changes that I have made then to continue to tweak battery performance.....nomesayin.

late,
Coz

p.s., that article that DW posted was very interesting...good find my man.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:56 PM
acs tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CozBoogie View Post
Ok, I went ahead and uninstalled ATK. While I think it was doing a fine job, I just didn't think that it was doing the right job. It seemed to drain just a bit more of my battery and at this point I think I'd rather monitor the changes that I have made then to continue to tweak battery performance.....nomesayin.

late,
Coz

p.s., that article that DW posted was very interesting...good find my man.
thanx coz, while i dont trust peoples input here and such it has made a difference. i removed juice defender also and now only use "auto start killer" and just got 19hrs with moderate call/text/surf

Last edited by darren.wlsn1; 10-07-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic

obamaftw08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularobamaftw08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularobamaftw08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularobamaftw08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
thanx coz, while i dont trust peoples input here and such it has made a difference. i removed juice defender also and now only use "uto start killer" and just got 19hrs with moderate call/text/surf
didn't find any uto start killer, is it the same as autostart killer?

Last edited by darren.wlsn1; 10-07-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:11 PM
acs tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by obamaftw08 View Post
didn't find any uto start killer, is it the same as autostart killer?
lol, typo bro.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:35 PM
337 L.V.
Pocket PC: HTC TP JR
Carrier: SPRINT

youngpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Hmmmm...This is indeed a very interesting thread. I actually have both Juice defender and ATK installed and I get very great battery life. My thought was that ATK kinda sped up my device after killing apps. It seemed to scroll a bit faster and was more responsive and Juice defender extended my battery from 8 to 9 hours to about 14 to 18 hours. I might just uninstall both of them and see how my phone holds up. If any better or worse. I do have startup auditor installed which I rarely use. I might give auto start a try and see if it has any better features.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Apps & Games