PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Apps & Games
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO
Carrier: Sprint

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Norton Security (Beta version)

I used Norton for a long, long time and eventually got tired of its problems. There are other alternatives out there, some free, some pay and most of them are much less bloated and work as well, though granted there are problems here and there. Having used Norton and now freeware, I suggest looking further.

Notebook? I have a note book also. I have a Dell 17" laptop and a Asus 10" netbook. I have kept up with security software and will say again, there are better applications than Norton. I ran Norton on both computers for 1 week to check it out and after that week, off to better service/performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliphion View Post
Chiming in, if you uninstalled my Norton Internet Security I'd kick you in the face and throw you out of my house. Then again you would never touch my computer. Do you use netbooks only? Craptastic laptops from 1998? If you actually kept up with their products you'd know it's one of the best out there anymore.

http://tiny.cc/jxfd3
http://tiny.cc/smmbp

Been running it since 2007 and never had a problem with my computer. Built it myself, upgraded it all myself, etc, etc. That's not to say Norton is only for super tech people, it's actually not. It's made for the mainstream, but with todays computers and Norton's streamlined software, it's well worth the price if you don't want the hassle of the "free" anti-virus software.

As for the android app, I'll check it out when it's finalized and android becomes more mainstream.

Remember all you Norton haters, it's 2010. Not 2005. Technology and software change.

Yes, this thread actually made me post my very first post on here. lol
Old 08-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

Nod32 is at the top for pay applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide9 View Post
+1 Anyone that uses anything from Norton just doesn't know any better They are the KING of BLOATWARE. It's the first thing I uninstall anytime someone wants me to work on there pc also. Hint: For those Norton users that would like to speed up there system by removing the Symantec anchor and actually have some real protection... Google Nod32 for antivirus or my personal favorite Vipre for virus & spyware
Old 08-02-2010, 01:19 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tregrad View Post
youve got to be kidding me!! youve been using it since WAY BACK in 2007 LOLOL norton is hte absolute worst thing you can have on your pc. the only reason they are the biggest seller of security software is because it comes in everything the box stores sell.
like one of the previous posters said "anyone who has anything norton on their pc just doesnt know any better. and you sir havent a clue one to go with your one post.
sigh..as I said before...Norton is better then most make it out to be..the top 2 detection rates on AV are for Norton and Nod 32..no other software free or paid keeps up with the detection rate of these 2....

That said Norton includes a full package including a firewall and etc...and is free every year...as of 2009 as I said it is much less bloated. Nod 32 on the other hand is lighter but costs money...so 3 pcs for Norton = 0.00...Nod 32 = 90.00

The only weakness of Norton is spyware...but that can be handled with the 3 freeware I posted before...

And for the record I know what I'm talking about..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 08-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Rooted Stock ROM

sanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

ROFLMAO, for years I was a Norton/Symantec beta tester. I remember when the applications were well written, easy to use, actually meant something to the PC world. And then, don't know WTF happened to this company but their applications became the biggest piles fo cr*p I'd ever used. Haven't used anything from Norton/Symantec in years. They're just godsawful applications.

More often than not, they cause more problems than they solve.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Rooted Stock ROM

sanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
sigh..as I said before...Norton is better then most make it out to be..the top 2 detection rates on AV are for Norton and Nod 32..no other software free or paid keeps up with the detection rate of these 2....

That said Norton includes a full package including a firewall and etc...and is free every year...as of 2009 as I said it is much less bloated. Nod 32 on the other hand is lighter but costs money...so 3 pcs for Norton = 0.00...Nod 32 = 90.00

The only weakness of Norton is spyware...but that can be handled with the 3 freeware I posted before...

And for the record I know what I'm talking about..
I disagree comlpetely, wholeheartedly, and absolutley with this assessment. AS *I* sad, I've been a beta tester for many Norton/Symantec products. What used to be good products in recent years have become bloatware, uninstall nightmare issues, memory hogs, resource hogs, etc., and anon.

I would NEVER recommend Norton/Symantec products to anyone. Most, as someone else pointed out, who have them installed leave themselves open to many vulnerabilities. Norton/Symantec may have the reputation that they update their signatures more often than others, that too is not a true statement.

Their AV labs used to be amazing. Now, they're just irrelevant. They have been making their money by being the pre-installed applications on a lot of machines. I uninstall it (and then make sure that the crappy installer they use since it NEVER uninstalls properly, is also completely wiped out of all registry keys, all directories, even in the common directories that it leaves countless leftover running applications because apparently the developers are too lazy to properly uninstall the application).

I too know what I'm talking about. I've seen the demise of this company from good applicatin developer to schlock.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

Eliphion is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tregrad View Post
youve got to be kidding me!! youve been using it since WAY BACK in 2007 LOLOL norton is hte absolute worst thing you can have on your pc. the only reason they are the biggest seller of security software is because it comes in everything the box stores sell.
like one of the previous posters said "anyone who has anything norton on their pc just doesnt know any better. and you sir havent a clue one to go with your one post.
Ahhh such ignorance. Only brought to you courtesy of the internet. I have no clue how to "correctly" operate my 4.0Ghz QX9650 based computer... nope, none at all. Xigmatek Dark Knight doing the cooling, while I save up for a good WC setup. I mean it's not like I built it from the ground up with a 4 TB RAID 5 array, X-25M for my OS, OC'ed GTX 280 (tad old I know), all housed in my Antec 1200. Nope, no clue.

Your post on the other hand told me something. It told me you subscribe to out-dated bias, closed minded-thinking and that you don't like to click on links provided in a post that would have backed up the post I had written.

Last edited by Eliphion; 08-02-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: X-25M Gen 2 for the curious. :P
Old 08-02-2010, 07:31 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjsrik View Post
I disagree comlpetely, wholeheartedly, and absolutley with this assessment. AS *I* sad, I've been a beta tester for many Norton/Symantec products. What used to be good products in recent years have become bloatware, uninstall nightmare issues, memory hogs, resource hogs, etc., and anon.

I would NEVER recommend Norton/Symantec products to anyone. Most, as someone else pointed out, who have them installed leave themselves open to many vulnerabilities. Norton/Symantec may have the reputation that they update their signatures more often than others, that too is not a true statement.

Their AV labs used to be amazing. Now, they're just irrelevant. They have been making their money by being the pre-installed applications on a lot of machines. I uninstall it (and then make sure that the crappy installer they use since it NEVER uninstalls properly, is also completely wiped out of all registry keys, all directories, even in the common directories that it leaves countless leftover running applications because apparently the developers are too lazy to properly uninstall the application).

I too know what I'm talking about. I've seen the demise of this company from good applicatin developer to schlock.
Can you explain how you "beta tested the product"? I hope by that you meant run viruses on your pc on purpose and see how it cleans it up and not just run in the background and use casually right?

I actually look at the numbers from a wide variety of places as I also own servers and try to make sure what I use for my servers is up and on par (no I don;t use norton for servers) but I also look at the results for the home packages...what norton fails at is Spyware..their antispyware is pretty much none existent...but as far as raw AV and Firewall they do better then the rest...which is why I install the 3 other free Antispyware tools to compliment there 1 weakness...

So far I have not gotten even 1 virus on my 7 pcs for over 10 years so I can't say my assessments are off..and I'm not the only one using those pcs...

Most common mistakes from those who use Norton as I said is

1) using AV only and not their NIS pack
2) Using Norton 360
3) Not having proper Antispyware installed with Norton
4) Not uninstalling their previous AV completely and running it on top

Last edited by gTen; 08-02-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:20 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G - TP2

Riptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Riptide9

Quote:
Chiming in, if you uninstalled my Norton Internet Security I'd kick you in the face and throw you out of my house. Then again you would never touch my computer. Do you use netbooks only? Craptastic laptops from 1998? If you actually kept up with their products you'd know it's one of the best out there anymore.

http://tiny.cc/jxfd3
http://tiny.cc/smmbp

Been running it since 2007 and never had a problem with my computer. Built it myself, upgraded it all myself, etc, etc. That's not to say Norton is only for super tech people, it's actually not. It's made for the mainstream, but with todays computers and Norton's streamlined software, it's well worth the price if you don't want the hassle of the "free" anti-virus software.

As for the android app, I'll check it out when it's finalized and android becomes more mainstream.

Remember all you Norton haters, it's 2010. Not 2005. Technology and software change.

Yes, this thread actually made me post my very first post on here. lol
Thanks for your input and your first post as we all have opinons...

But, you shouldn't get an attitude and start acting like your better when you don't know anything about the people posting

"Do you use netbooks only? Craptastic laptops from 1998? If you actually kept up with their products you'd know it's one of the best out there anymore."

Wow, and you built your own pc... all by yourself... So did my son when he was 8.

I own a technology consulting firm and have been a consultant and partner for Compuware, CA, EMC, VMWare, HP, and yes... Symantec for the last 10 years. I have an MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, and am certifed as a EMC TA (Technology Architect).

Being a Symantec partner I think I do keep up with their products.

I actually like Symantec's Corporate Enterprise solutions... But I personally would not use them on my personal latop (which I should say is little more powerfull than a netbook) because although they have improved over the last few years, they are still not efficient enough, yet, for me to be satisfied with the performance.

Funny thing is, I have read everyone of those reports from AV-Comparatives, as I do every year, before you even posted it.

Symantec has gotten better but not as good as products like Nod32 which is the only product that has "Never" missed and in the wild virus (per AV-Comparatives). Symantec is a very close second.

http://www.eset.com/home/compare-eset-to-competition

From a performance standpoint Symantec used to be the worst but has improved greatly over the years infact getting to within 20 milliseconds scan time of Nod32 (check that link about and look at the performace tab)
However boot time lag and browser start up lag is still quite high.

Now, don't go thinking I am some Nod32 fanboy. I actually quit using Nod32 and switched to Vipre by Sunbelt software. Sunbelt has contacted me many times over the past years trying to get me to switch from Nod32 to their product and after a lot of research I made the switch last year and have been more than satisfied.

My reasoning is for a home user viruses aren't the main threat but spyware, adware, highjackware, etc are. Viruses are usually targeted from design to attack a larger corporate enterprise target and the home users are just collateral damage. They want the list of CC# from Amazon or the passwords from E-Trade (just examples) and don't really care about your PPCGeeks login info LOL. Virus attacks are like using a Nuclear bomb to attack a fly, a lot of people get involved that were not the intended target. Spyware, Adware, and worst of all Highjackware are intended to attack the home user. How many people know of someone who has gotten the fake Microsoft Antivirus poping up on there pc telling them they have viruses and if they want them removed they need to buy the bogus product. Then it bascially disables everything on the pc until they buy it or get someone like one of us to remove it.

Since Vipre is superior in Adware, Spyware detection/prevention/removal than Nod32 and is just about as lightweight from a system resources point of view it is my personal choice... for now

Tools of the trade as pointed out "used" to be (they were always my must goto)

Hijack This (you left this one out)
Spybot Search & Destroy (hasn't been very good for years)
Adaware (hasn't been very good for years)
Malwarebyte (Still very goog for removal... Which is owned by SunbeltSoftware maker of Vipre)

People are going to use what they want no matter what anyone says. Personally it would take a lot for me to ever consider using any Symantec product on my personal pc's, servers, or laptop. Hey, there was a time when Microsoft had the best Antispyware available, it used to be Giant Antispyware... remember that? But when Microsoft bought them they had to change it and of course it was useless after that.

I am just giving my 2 cents so I will shutup now and let the flaming begin
Hit the Thanks! or your phone will turn into an iPhone and all the other kids will point and laugh at you!

Last edited by Riptide9; 08-03-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

Eliphion is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide9 View Post
Thanks for your input and your first post as we all have opinons...

But, you shouldn't get an attitude and start acting like your better when you don't know anything about the people posting

"Do you use netbooks only? Craptastic laptops from 1998? If you actually kept up with their products you'd know it's one of the best out there anymore."

Wow, and you built your own pc... all by yourself... So did my son when he was 8.

I own a technology consulting firm and have been a consultant and partner for Compuware, CA, EMC, VMWare, HP, and yes... Symantec for the last 10 years. I have an MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, and am certifed as a EMC TA (Technology Architect).

Being a Symantec partner I think I do keep up with their products.

I actually like Symantec's Corporate Enterprise solutions... But I personally would not use them on my personal latop (which I should say is little more powerfull than a netbook) because although they have improved over the last few years, they are still not efficient enough, yet, for me to be satisfied with the performance.

Funny thing is, I have read everyone of those reports from AV-Comparatives, as I do every year, before you even posted it.

Symantec has gotten better but not as good as products like Nod32 which is the only product that has "Never" missed and in the wild virus (per AV-Comparatives). Symantec is a very close second.

http://www.eset.com/home/compare-eset-to-competition

From a performance standpoint Symantec used to be the worst but has improved greatly over the years infact getting to within 20 milliseconds scan time of Nod32 (check that link about and look at the performace tab)
However boot time lag and browser start up lag is still quite high.

Now, don't go thinking I am some Nod32 fanboy. I actually quit using Nod32 and switched to Vipre by Sunbelt software. Sunbelt has contacted me many times over the past years trying to get me to switch from Nod32 to their product and after a lot of research I made the switch last year and have been more than satisfied.

My reasoning is for a home user viruses aren't the main threat but spyware, adware, highjackware, etc are. Viruses are usually targeted from design to attack a larger corporate enterprise target and the home users are just collateral damage. They want the list of CC# from Amazon or the passwords from E-Trade (just examples) and don't really care about your PPCGeeks login info LOL. Virus attacks are like using a Nuclear bomb to attack a fly, a lot of people get involved that were not the intended target. Spyware, Adware, and worst of all Highjackware are intended to attack the home user. How many people know of someone who has gotten the fake Microsoft Antivirus poping up on there pc telling them they have viruses and if they want them removed they need to buy the bogus product. Then it bascially disables everything on the pc until they buy it or get someone like one of us to remove it.

Since Vipre is superior in Adware, Spyware detection/prevention/removal than Nod32 and is just about as lightweight from a system resources point of view it is my personal choice... for now

Tools of the trade as pointed out "used" to be (they were always my must goto)

Hijack This (you left this one out)
Spybot Search & Destroy (hasn't been very good for years)
Adaware (hasn't been very good for years)
Malwarebyte (Still very goog for removal... Which is owned by SunbeltSoftware maker of Vipre)

People are going to use what they want no matter what anyone says. Personally it would take a lot for me to ever consider using any Symantec product on my personal pc's, servers, or laptop. Hey, there was a time when Microsoft had the best Antispyware available, it used to be Giant Antispyware... remember that? But when Microsoft bought them they had to change it and of course it was useless after that.

I am just giving my 2 cents so I will shutup now and let the flaming begin
No more flame war. Does your son overclock his pc as well?!?!?! Finally an informed post. Good read man.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G - TP2

Riptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Riptide9

Quote:
No more flame war. Does your son overclock his pc as well?!?!?! Finally an informed post. Good read man.
Yep...His PC is Water cooled, moded bios, with overclocked motherboard, cpu, and gpu.
PS2, Xbox, Xbox360, Phones, Tivo, and Carputer all cracked, chipped, modded as well. LOL I can't image where he gets it from

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Apps & Games

Tags
android, app, htc evo 4g, security