N00b

TMan11 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to TMan11
Wink Re: Glossary, Terms, Definitions, Acronyms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Since I couldn't find a glossary on here, I though I would start one! (Mods - If I am wrong or if this should be located somewhere else, please inform me or move it as needed )

This is just a basic start for some of the terms that I have encountered so far. Most of the information is taken from Wikipedia, xda-developers forum, and from information I have gathered from here. Ideally I would like for other geeks to contribute so that I can modify and eventually have an extensive list of common (and not so common) terms used in the world of PPCs. Anyone who would like a definition of a term not listed may post a request and I will try to find out for you when I get a chance. Also, if any errors are found please let me know so I can fix it. (A verifiable source may be requested depending on the information disputed).

Anyone who would like to contribute may do so, please keep it in a similar format (i.e. Term - Definition) and make it as informative as possible. Any one contributing will get a thanks from me and their name added to the list of contributors that will be at the end of this post.

GLOSSARY OF COMMON TERMS & ACRONYMS

.cab - Cabinet file format. Common file type used in PPCs due the their compression and ability to install themselves.

ActiveSync - Software generally used to sync data between a desktop PC with a PocketPC.

Brick - Slang term meaning a phone that no longer responds to anything, good for use only as a "brick".

CDMA - Common term used for phone carriers utilizing the Code Division Multiple Access channel access method. Actual cell phone standards are called CDMAOne & CDMA2000.

Chef - A person who cooks ROMs.

Cook - The process of modifying a ROM to contain desired settings, themes, programs, etc.

Flash - The process of overwriting the current ROM on a phone with a different one.

GPRS - General Packet Radio Service, a packet oriented mobile date service availabe on some cellular communication systems. Used for the transfer of data such as internet and other network information.

GSM - Global System for Mobile communications, a common cell phone system. Generally identified by use of a SIM card.

HSPL - aka HardSPL, a file that permanently replaces the SPL on your phone.

IPL - Initial Program Load(er), the first part of the bootup process when a phone it turned on. Hardwired into the phone and can't be changed, checks the phones hardware state.

Kitchen - A tool used to "cook" custom ROMs.

Locked - A phone with security measures in place to prevent changes to the SPL and ROM.

MMS - Multimedia Messaging Service - Similar to SMS but also capable of sending pictures, text, and video.

PPC - Pocket PC, a device used primarily as a PDA with cell phone capabilities as a secondary feature. A touchscreen generally differentiates it from a smartphone.

PRI - Primary Rate Interface, a telecommunication standard for carrying multiple voice and data transmission between a network and a user.

PRL - Preferred Roaming List, a database located in wireless (primarily CDMA) devices such as cellphones that contains information used during system seletion and acquisition. Indicates which bands, sub bands, and service providers whould be used and their priority.

Radio - Used by phones to pick up the cellular signal. Version and capabilities varies depending on phone, ROM, and carrier.

ROM - Read Only Memory, the default settings for a phone. When a hard reset is performed these settings are what it reverts to. Can be changed by using a "Kitchen", creating a custom ROM. The original, unmodified ROM for a phone is called a stock ROM.

RUU - ROM Upgrade Utility - A program that is used to flash a phone with the desired ROM.

S2A - Slide to Answer, an application that requires sliding an icon to answer incoming calls. Generally used to prevent accidental answering on touchscreen devices.

S2U - Slide to Unlock, an application that requires sliding an icon to unlock the phone.

SIM Card - Subscriber Identity Module, a detachable smart card containing a user's subscription information and phone book. Used in phones on a GSM network.

Smartphone - A device used primarily as a cell phone, with PDA capabilities as a secondary feature. Usually lacks a touchscreen.

SMS - Short Message System, a communication service that allows for exchange of short text messages between mobile telephones.

SPL - Secondary Program Loader, similar to the BIOS in a computer and capable of being flashed. Loads up the ROM and other defaults.

SSPL - aka SoftSPL, a file that temporarily replaces your SPL. Easier to change or replace than a HSPL.

Titanium - The default interface for Windows Mobile 6.5. Default configuration is horizontal bars that scroll vertically, with the highlighted bar able to scroll horizontally (depending on information).

Touch-Flo 3D
- Also referred to as TF3D and TFlo3. The default interface for Windows Mobile 6.1. Uses a row of icons near the bottom of the screen that slides horizontally to display information for the current icon.

Unlocked - A phone with security settings removed, allowing for changes in the SPL and ROM.
For the Touch Flo section you should put in i(t is also referred as manilla) i have seen lots of peopling wondering what manilla is so i thought should be added. Good Post

This post has been thanked 5 times.