View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 12:30 PM
etc
PPCGeeks Regular

etc is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My list of issues -- how Touch Pro should be improved

After 6 months and 3 (three) Touch Pros, here is the list of issues that need to be addressed by the maker:

1. First, the battery capacity . This thing is basically a mini-laptop and the 1340 mAh cell does not cut it. It needs to be at least 5,000 mAh or even 6,000 mAh. I think 20 Wh would be sufficient, but 5 Wh that it has is a joke. I would tolerate the phone being twice as big for this extra capacity and functionality. I am not obsssed with tiny devices.

I am aware of aftermarket cells of 3,000 mAh but they are a patch, not a good design and expensive - I expect the OEM fix, not a band-aid.

I wonder if the engineers said -- "we need a big cell capacity". The marketing people said "but we want it to be small" given the trend. So the result was a compromise, this hack which is what TP is IMO.

I solve this by carrying 2 spare Li-Ion cells with me in laptop case, but it's not a real solution, obviously. What's the point of tiny device if you have to carry spares with you to get more than 8 hours runtime, even that's a miracle with the drain it has.

2. Slow buggy OS. Needs major rewrite, sometimes the call doesn't hang up or doesn't respond, "home" key doesn't take you home, etc.

3. Stylus falls out. Needs to be bigger with a bigger magnet. I had to put tape on it to prevent it from falling out so easily, if it snags on something in your pocket.

4. Better, more durable design , shock proof. The life time of this device seems to be about 6 months. I use it in business env. heavily, and it just falls apart after a while. Drop it once or twice, inevitably, and it's scratched. The shiny surface is destroyed. The USB port broke, incredibly. It's just unbelievably fragile. Need to make it mil spec shock proof and water resistant. The keyboard needs to lock in place and shouldn't move side-to-side.

5. Touch screen - don't know about that. Every time I talk, it seems to accidently start all kinds of apps. I hang up and see the browser started, editing contacts and whatever. The screen size is fine but touch screen is buggy. Often it will unlock in my pocket and start doing things by itself, like making calls, etc.

Last edited by etc; 06-25-2009 at 12:34 PM.