View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 03:34 PM
scrambler7
PPCGeeks Regular

scrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 3 major problems for the Pre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
Well, I don't think anyone is hating on them... but you have to consider the rapidly shrinking life span of these devices. My Diamond didn't go a year before it had a replacement model... and with each generation of devices that lifespan gets shorter and shorter as the competition in the market rises.

So, basically, if we don't get an SDK until later in the year, that very well may be half the life span of this device. That's a problem.

We can't keep comparing everything to the first gen iPhone. That device is ancient history.
i personally would like to see the sdk out ASAP, or rather, at launch, but the business reality of it is that Palm is likely delaying the SDK to generate more interest for the second wave of buyers. the early adopters are going to do it for the new tech, excitement, buzz, etc. but after that initial frenzy is done, they likely want a backup plan to build excitement which would be the release of the sdk.

but who knows, maybe palm has a less capitalistic reason. maybe they just want to refine the OS as much as possible and work out any kinks before letting the device get blown up with apps. coming from WM and garnetOS, certain apps did not play nice with the phone. maybe they're just trying to regulate things so as to avoid any harrowing missteps?

but again, with all that being said, i want the sdk out now. i'm sick and tired (even though it's just been a week, haha) of reading hacks that will require me to root the phone because, hey, i'm lazy and don't want to do it. if they can just get an installer going (which it looks like the homebrewers are working on), i think that will help quell some of my app anxiety.

as for comparing to the iphone, i just brought it up because of the person i quoted. but i still wonder about the availability of apps for all major OSes in their first incarnation. i'm sure android had a sizeable amount, but i couldn't find any real data to show how many were available at launch/after one month. anyone here used to have a g1?