View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 08:35 PM
mcw
PPCGeeks Regular

mcw is keeping up the good workmcw is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Question about PIM Backup

If using PPCPimBackup - just be careful about your threaded SMS content (if you're using it threaded).... It has a tendency to not restore properly. You can check the XDA topic to verify that. I used to only use PPCPim, but when it was unable to restore my threaded messages properly, and I had to manually recreate the database, I was annoyed. Let's just say that sifting through 7500+ lines in Excel to correct the mistakes was a definite waste of time, and then restoring in batches (since PPCPim couldn't handle all that in one go) made it more of a time waste.

It looks like others are having issues, but I've switched over to Sprite (after even SPB was unable to restore my threaded SMS properly). Since Sprite actually copies over the cemail.vol file, instead of extract messages ala PPCPim and SPB, when it restores, no worries - everything is as is.

There are various ROM upgrade modes that Sprite can handle, but for the most part, I only use Sprite to backup my SMS, documents, data, and whatnot. I use SDConfig's to restore my programs and settings - I don't deal with those in backups. Sprite hasn't failed me yet, and I've gone through numerous ROM changes and a lot of phone changes (damn these Touch Pro issues).