View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 04:57 PM
aplawing
Lurker

aplawing is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tethering troubles... What to do?

Ok, so I have searched and searched and have yet to find the answers that I am looking for about my new phone. I just bought my 6800, works great. I love it. I have a regular Alltel plan with 900 anytime minutes to share with my family(2lines) and I have unlimited data pack on my line(6800).

I had NO problems and NO extra charges on my old phone(MotoQ) when I used ModemLink. I just activated the Modem Link program, plugged it in, and made a dial up connecting that dialed #777 and it connected to the internet no problem, without tethering charges and most importantly, without using my minutes.

I only want to do what I have been doing. I want to be able to use my unlimited data for internet on my PC occasionally. But I can not afford to loose my minutes. I don't download much of anything, only browsing and occasionally youtube. I know that the 6800 has Internet Sharing, but I have heard that it is detectible and that it uses minutes?

SO:
Is ICS detectable? If so, will Alltel throw a charge on my bill for it? Will it use my airtime minutes? I can't afford to play around with it to even see, my minutes are super tight for the next two weeks, I only have about 30 left.

The other option is PDANet. I am willing to pay the $35 for the peace of mind that it won't be detected and that it won't use my minutes... Is this the case?

Does PDANet use airtime minutes or JUST data? Is it definitly undetectible?

I am familiar with hacking registries on the Q and would do it on the 6800 if I KNEW for a fact that it would work and I wouldn't get a crazy bill, but that's just it, I am afraid it won't work and I'd just rather pay the $35 and be done with it unless someone can confirm a simple hack that will work for sure.

Thanks a lot,

aplawing