View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 04:02 PM
AndyCR512
PPCGeeks Regular

AndyCR512 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The case in the box is crap

I ran across the street yesterday, and the completely-secured flap of the stock Sprint case the phone came with came loose, launching the phone into the asphault. Darting in front of an oncoming car to save the now-separated phone, battery, and cover from certain death, I wondered whether it would still work.

It works, but it is dented and scratched up, especially the edges. I was incredibly mad, and set off to determine how it happened. I am very careful to secure the case tightly.

Here's an experiment. Put the Touch Pro in the Sprint case, kneel on the carpet, and shake it in a motion like running. Watch how fast the velcro comes loose and the phone falls to the carpet. Look at how the velcro meets itself. It barely even touches with how the case is built. It almost misses the other side. You can blow hard at the edge and break it loose.

So I called Sprint, determined to get a replacement. After 8 transfers over an hour and a half and much finger-pointing (It's an Asurion thing! No, it's a Sprint thing! There's a deposit for that! No, Sprint should wave it!), Sprint finally agreed to replace the phone. I expected more of a fight, but there certainly was enough of one. At least they did the right thing in the end.

Let this be a warning to anyone who thinks about using the crappy stock belt case. Find a third-party one. It may save you either $100 or a very long, tiring discussion with Sprint support. It's not exactly easy to explain how the phone getting dented on a road isn't your fault, and it isn't a fun time.

Last edited by AndyCR512; 05-29-2009 at 04:08 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.