View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 02:29 PM
RonDutt
Regular 'Geeker

RonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arrow Resetting/reconditioning the battery

So, figured out a few days ago that the TP doesn't actually have an issue with the battery dieing, the issue is with the circutry that controls it. If you charge when the battery isn't *completely* discharged, the battery meter doesn't update right so it looks like the battery is dieing faster and faster as the days go by. A few nights ago I, as I normally do, plugged in my phone, turned on wifi, and started streaming radio. What I forgot to do was plug in the wall adapter (heh), so in the morning I woke up a to a completely dead battery (freaked out since the phone wouldn't start, even with the charger plugged in). So I took the battery out and measured the voltage, almost ZERO (I have a few hacks to make sure the phone doesn't shut off when it's at 10% battery or whatever). Plugged the battery back in and soft-reset my phone, hurray it started charging! I let it charge completely and when I took it off the charger, the battery meter actually showed 100% for almost 20 minutes! This has NEVER happened before, the meter always drops to 94% within minutes of being unplugged. Took it to work that same day (I work in a NOC/datacenter 2 floors down) and left it on my desk. Two hours later I was down to 93%, by lunch (6 hours later) I was at 87%. When I plugged it back in at home almost 15 hours later, I still had 80% battery left! Mind you, I did use the phone quite a bit. Did some GPS on Live, received about 80 SMS's (reporting/alerts server went crazy...thank you unlimited txting!), 20+ emails, and 5 or so 2-15 minute calls.

Being curious as to why I got such a great battery usage for the day, I plugged it in without thinking. Next morning, unplugged, by the time I got breakfast (10 minutes) the meter already showed the usual 94%. I didn't care, yadda yadda TP battery life sucks live with it. By the time I got home (13 hours later) I was already at 40% battery (sigh). This got me curious...I let the phone charge (from 40%) and measured the mah/voltage/etc and checked against the Battery Info app, lo and behold the two results were WAAY off. I let the battery drain completely (close to it, 2%) and charged fully, my meter still showed roughly the same values as with a charge from 40% but this time the Battery Info app also matched my results. Checked the battery level, HA 99%!! So far I haven't charged in close to 3 days and I still have 32% battery remaining. I know theres a lot of controversy about conditioning a battery but this isn't the case, this is a case of faulty code/drivers for the battery management causing the phone to think the battery doesn't have enough juice when it was more than enough to last 2+ days! Don't think its something that can be fixed via a firmware update else HTC would have already done it, but I would like some people to try it out and see the results you get. Mind you, I am an EE (electrical engineer), not just some kid playing with a voltometer.

Settings/configuration of my phone:
Calkulins Kitchen 1.7 - Windows Mobile 6.5
All apps/settings EXCEPT nueDynamicClock from the kitchen + Corepalyer from Silence Kitchen
No form of clock control, no additional apps except WmWifi
Data shutoff after 1 minute + #777 fix

I know it's a long post, but I really would like to get some testers to verify my findings. Have some way to check your battery externally, the phone isn't a reliable method.

Edit: Would also like to add that WinMo 6.5 has clock control of its own (buggy). You can test this by having Text selected on CHome, putting the phone in standby for a few minutes, and when you turn it back on the time will switch from what it was when you put it in standby to the current time. If you're technical, attach some leads to the battery and monitor the drain as you perform various functions. nueDynamic is a VERY bad idea if you're using 6.5, since in essence you're using two forms of clock control and most often then not, negating any benefits either software may provide.

Edit2: Had this post written up but never posted, in case something above doesn't match the timeline. So far, my phones been on for 3.6 hours (according to my 3G connection) and I'm at 90% battery. Got bombed with 120 SMSs today as well, along with 3 emails and a 10 minute call.

Last edited by RonDutt; 05-21-2009 at 02:56 PM.
This post has been thanked 4 times.