Old 09-19-2007, 03:56 PM
AJerman
N00b

AJerman is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekoe1111 View Post
So the 1200 is about the size of the GPSlim 240? Is the 1200 the one on your keychain in the photo?

Forgive the stupid question, but obviously I am new at this: The Holux info says the Smart2Go software with "full navigation" has only a 7-day trial. Do Google or Windows Live offer turn-by-turn navigation for free, or must I buy a $150 map/software package like TomTom6 to get this?

Thanks

BB
It's fine. I just got mine two days ago, so I'm new at this too. Yes, that's the M-1200 I have. It's (roughly) the same size as the GPSlim 240, however it has the MTK chipset in it which gives it much better battery life, this is the same chipset as in the M-1000.

I never even tried the Smart2Go software they sent since it's only a 7 day trial. Google Maps and Live Search will both give you turn by turn directions, however they won't be spoken. I assume software like Smart2Go will speak them, but I use Tomtom which speaks the directions as well. Consider the turn by turn directions on Google Maps and Live Search as sort of an addition to a mapping software, whereas Tomtom is meant to be GPS software. It has multiple different extras while Google Maps and Live Search are very simply draw a line on the map of where you're going to go and tell you at the bottom what turn to make next.

I suggest that you get the GPS and try them out and see what you think. Perhaps you don't care enough right now to pay for something like Tomtom, but I have a feeling that in the end you won't be satisfied with just a simple route line and text telling you your upcoming turns.