View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 04:17 PM
AlaskanGeek
N00b

AlaskanGeek is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Fuze, Touch Pro, and a small local GSM carrier.

Hi guys,

Warning: Dumb question ahead!

I have a PPC-6800 and am comfortable with flashing it to different ROMs and have done so many times.

My question is....my father-in-law is with a small local GSM carrier here in Alaska, it is called GCI. AT&T is here as well, but for some reason he went with GCI.

Anyways, GCI's PDA line up is terrible. I want to get him an unlocked Fuze or Touch Pro.

What is the difference between the two and what problems should I be aware of with using one of these phones on different GSM network besides AT&T?
The research I have read online suggests there is no real difference between the phones, except the Fuze is closly tied to AT&T.
So, if I get a Fuze will there be alot of stuff my father-in-law can not use? Like the data connection I am mainly concerned about
I know apps like TV and maybe even GPS will not work...
So maybe I should get him a Touch Pro instead?
But my draw back on that is....I have read on the forums here that you may not be able to use 3G with the Touch Pro here in the US? Or is that just a Tmobile problem?

Also, I assume flashing of the GSM phones is less complicated then a CDMA phone like my 6800, since all the network info is stored on the SIM. Correct?

And which custom ROM does everyone suggest as the best right now?
(I'm more familar with the 6800 ROMs)

Thanks,