View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 12:39 AM
marcjen
Regular 'Geeker

marcjen is keeping up the good workmarcjen is keeping up the good workmarcjen is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Case Study: Flashing to Stock BEFORE flashing Custom Roms

I know we have ALL beat this into the ground in each custom ROM thread, but I wanted to provide an example that happened to me. Whether a flash to stock would have helped or not is irrelevant, I want to point out that files/settings can for whatever reason remain from previous flashes. (Cliff's at bottom for ADD peeps)

I had been running Frugal 1.1 for about a week. Last night I wanted to check out RSTG's SPB Mobile Shell 4/21 (I had been running SBP MS3 on Frugal and liked it, thought I'd try a ROM focused version.)

After I flashed RSTG's Rom, I did a hard reset on it. (I have done it this way for months. Essentially 2 hard resets each new rom.)

I ended up not liking the missing icons (no offense to RSTG, great ROM otherwise), so I wanted to try out Bear-Bonz Rhodium Rom. Did a Flash and subsequent hard reset. Again, I run into minor issues (Rhodium bugs that prevent productive use of the phone) and decide in the morning I'm gonna flash to Calkulin's 2501 4.6.2a ROM.

I flash and hard reset. Go through the day. By the end of the day I've decided I'd rather just stick with Frugal, so I flash and hard reset to Frugal 1.1.

Now HERE's the WHOLE point of this post. While I'm setting up Frugal 1.1, I get a text and the "sound" it makes is this...

zzz_My_Sounds_OEM - Customized Rom Sounds
- Ringer: Third Rock from the Sun Theme
- ActiveSync Connect: "Device Connected to activesync"
- ActiveSync DisConnect: "Device Disconnected from activesync"
- Text Messages: "You have a text message boss.."

That's from RSTG's Rom.

Cliff's:
Flash From Frugal to RSTG.
Hard Reset (Clear Storage)
Flash From RSTG to Bear Bonz
Flash From Bear Bonz to Calkulin's
Flash From Calkulin's to Frugal

Recieve text that plays Sound file from RSTG ROM.

Now I hope that I haven't made a fool of myself and find out that Frugal Rom uses the same default sounds as RSTG, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Anyway, I think it's a good eye-opener for everyone. Files or sections of the ROM seem to remain between flashes. So if you ARE having issues, take the advice of everyone on this forum and flash to stock/shipped ROM first, then flash your shiny new ROM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.