View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 03:12 AM
Momotombo
Lurker

Momotombo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cricket EVDO only "dial-up"?

I've been messing around with trying to play music remotely on my HTC Titan(So I can have my entire music collection wherever), and I've been moderately successful. I found a server program that works well, but I can only properly connect to it using WiFi. This isn't much of a problem now, as I only really use it in college where there's a free WiFi network, but I want ot make sure it works on EVDO.

So I tried disconnecting the WiFi and accessing the EVDO network. There's a little EV icon that appears on my phone when I do this, so I assume I'm connected properly to EVDO. But, when I click on the icon, it says "Cricket Mobile Web (Dial-Up)". Also, when I try to play a song from the server, it loads the playlist but it doesn't actually play the song. This is going to be a problem when I'm on the road and I want to listen to music from my phone, because obviously there's no WiFi out there, unless I'm in a store or something.

I also noticed that when I load up a webpage using the supposed EVDO, it's pretty slow. Not as slow as it was on my Samsung Messager, but still slow, like dial-up. I'm wondering why the hell it's not broadband speed like my friends have told me. Is there something I should do about it?

By the way, I checked the coverage map on the Cricket site, and apparently I get "excellent coverage" on their map.