View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 06:21 PM
FastRX8
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HOW TO: Bootloader and hard reset without the stylus!

*** Updated*** Moved instructions to the top to make this easier to read. Added headings to sections.
*** Updated*** Added list of symptoms that may required going into bootloader. Meatgel's idea, Post #13
*** Updated*** Added a section of other supported devices

+++Instructions+++
The key is, the phone needs to be powered down, not just the screen.
These are some of the ways to power down your phone.
1) If you have psShutXP installed, you can select "Shut Down".
2) or, Push and hold the power button. You will be warned that you're shutting down the phone.
3) or, Remove the battery.

Once you're phone is powered down, decide which mode you want to go into.
Make sure the "PowerButton" is the last button you push and hold, since that will turn your phone on.

Note: Push and hold all the corresponding buttons to activate selected mode

Bootloader = VolumeDown + PowerButton
Triggered Bootloader = VolumeDown + BackArrow + PowerButton
Hardreset = VolumeDown + OK + PowerButton

+++Extra Info - Just FYI+++
I decided to start a thread on this topic because I've seen a lot of discussion regarding the difficulty of doing this on the Diamond.

You don't need the Stylus to put your phone into bootloader or to do a hard-reset.
I didn't figure this out, I simply saw what cornelious2 wrote in his thread, and decided to try it w/ other methods.
I flash my phone so often I was concerned about removing the cover constantly to start bootloader or do hard resets.

I was reading the tutorial by cornelious2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=40490) about flashing from the 4 gig storage, and he mentioned this method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelious2 View Post
at this point once you have all of those buttons pressed, you need to do the magical dance to figure out how to press the stylus into the soft reset hole.
(as an alternative you can completely power off the phone, then hold backspace and volume and while holding those press and hold power till the bootloader pops up)
**Edit**
I did a little more research, and this is called entering "Triggered bootloader mode" as apposed to the normal bootloader mode.

The way bootloader/triggered bootloader/hard-reset works is the fact that you are holding down certain buttons while the phone powers up.
Using the stylus to reset the phone is just a way of making the phone shutoff and turn back on while you are holding the buttons.
So, if you have your phone powered down and hold the appropriate buttons while powering the phone back on, you will enter whatever mode you want.

Just to reiterate what cornelious2 said, Triggered Bootloader is what you use when you want to flash a rom from the internal storage.
You just take a RUU_Signed.nbh and rename it DIAMIMG.nbh and place it on the root of your internal storage folder.

Symptoms that may mean you need to force bootloader: (credit to Meatgel)
Stuck on the screen with red letters
Soft reset turns to a hard reset
You're in a re-boot cycle
Anytime you pull the battery from a freeze and the phone doesn't boot correctly

After you put your phone in bootloader it may be best to flash to a stock or shipped ROM before flashing to your choice of custom ROMs.

+++Devices that can use this method+++
These devices can enter bootloader or hard reset using the correct button combination for that device, w/o the stylus.
If anyone has more info, please let me know, and I'll update this list.

Same steps apply.
Power off the phone, and then press and hold the correct buttons, pushing the power button last.
If you're not sure how to power down your phone, remove the battery.

Devices
HTC Apache - Bootloader and Hard reset
HTC Vogue - Bootloader and Hard reset
HTC Touch Pro - Bootloader and Hard reset

Last edited by FastRX8; 06-25-2009 at 10:21 AM.
This post has been thanked 122 times.