N00b
Threadstarter

isevilla is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: WIFI Not Connecting to home network

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyidaho View Post
Okay you have me utterly confused. Perhaps this is something this router does; but two wireless networks and two security configurations from one router? Typically the router will accept a/b/g/n clients and communicate with them on whatever standard they support. Maybe I am getting old.
This particular router has dual bands which is actually two networks in one router if you want to use that way. I have our non N laptops connected to the 2.4 ghz mixed mode network and the N card machines connected to the 5 ghz N only mode.

Quote:
MAC filtering is a bad idea. With mac filtering all your doing is [providing any would be hackers a nice list of mac addresses to spoof. Which makes network intrusion detection on your part harder because all you'll see is a familiar MAC address, but in fact it's the pimple faced kid next door spoofing the MAC address of your kids laptop.
Very good point... I have disabled the mac address filtering altogether.

Quote:
Hidden networks are a false security. I can log into my router and it will show me all these "hidden" networks. With a couple keystrokes on my computer I can easily decloak any hidden SSID's. It's pointless and leads to bad security judgments because one assumes they are safe because they are hidden. Hidden networks also cause a host of performance issues.
This has always been a real pain in the butt when a pc lost its connection and wouldnt connect again and I would have to go through hoops to get it back online. I have disabled this as well.

Quote:
WEP keys are normally long strings that are hard to remember and easy to crack, same pimple faced kid next door would be able to crack your WEP key in a matter of moments. WPA is much better, it's much more secure and plus you can use words that humans read.
Currently the 2.4 ghz mixed network has wep and that is because we have 1 machine that we lost our product key for and we cant get anything other than wep to work on it at this time (long story). The N network has wpa2 in place.

And funny that you mention that pimple faced kid scenario because I noticed last night that we had someone else on our network. We have a ps3 on our network and im not sure if they got in that way or not but anyway I blocked the pc.

Quote:
Honestly at this point my best suggestion is unhide your SSID, move all your encryption to WPA or WPA2. Stop filtering MAC addresses, and stop restricting certain devices to certain 802.11 standards. What you'll end up with is a possibly a better performing network, that is more secure and I willing to bet your touch will work.
I have done all the above and after doing so my touch pro connected immediately to the network. It totally doesnt like connecting to hidden networks for some reason because as soon as I allowed the ssid broadcast it connected.

Quote:
I know it's not what you want to hear.
Im always open to suggestions as I would not have come here to ask for them in the first place

Thank you for your help and suggestions!