View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Mutiny32
Halfway to VIP Status

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32
Re: Using GPS without Cell Service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
I meant continent then, hahah. Anyway I'm not completely sure, I just hear that it probably doesn't work in Europe and the sort.

//this is the link I read a while back

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...outside+states
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...outside+states

Its the Vogue, but I assume we all have similar gpsOne chips in our phones.

There are some reports that it works outside the US, but they don't mention where, so I'm not sure how exactly the chip works outside NA

Of course the gpsOne chipset works outside of the US. HTC uses it on all their recent phones.

The possibility of a kill-switch is a valid point though. HTC could have built it into the software somewhere, but I doubt they would.

As for actual functioning of the GPS, if you have it set to mode 4 in the registry (That's assisted + phone GPS), it shuold work. Actually, I think only one mode won't work. I think it's 2, but I don't remember off the top of my head. The GPS mode is set in all CDMA carriers by default to attempt aGPS fixes. All that means is that the phone uses a server on the cell network to help it get a quicker lock for GPS satellites.

One helpful thing that Sprint did was include a program called QuickGPS, which is essentially a poor-man's aGPS. It connects to the QuickGPS servers by any means possible (hint: when you get to where you're going, find a WiFi hotspot and manually update QuickGPS) and the servers attempt a rough geo-location for your public IP address and kind of gives the phone's GPS daemon a hint at where the satellites might be. This is exactly how my TomTom does it to get quicker GPS locks.

So in short; yes, you will probably be able to use your phone for GPS outside the US, but you will, as people have already said, have to use a GPS program like TomTom with pre-loaded maps.