View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 01:09 PM
XV6700Dummy
PPCGeeks Regular

XV6700Dummy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Measurement application ideas

SonarCE actually works but setting it up precisely to the acoustic and ambient conditions is a bit tedious.

However, I've played with it quite a bit. It is viable if you can get your skull wrapped around it and have the time. My guess is somebody should consider developing this piece a bit more making it

well Dummy Proof

Black Ruler (uses the camera and you insert a credit card in the pic to scale) is pretty cool and somewhere I found another, not PRuler but maybe just Ruler, that will scale out measurements and also angles. They all require user definition of the referenced scale item, be it credit card or length of some line on the screen.

There are also some caliper programs, very small and light, and they will measure items small enough to fit on the screen. One I found is very handy and if you have good eyes, it will reward you with better than 0.010 accuracy. Better than a measuring tape.

I can dig and get the names if any of these sound intriguing to you.

A shame is the elimination of the IrDa port. I don't think that piece of hardware was ever fully exploited on our PPC's.